Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IV set ups and equipment

Default IV set ups and equipment

Looking to get some IV set ups. Tubing, Drip chambers, angio caths, butterflies etc... and also some suture sets (looking at 2.0 nylon for all round emergency use) If any of you medical type folks have reccomendations on what type/brand and where the best place to purchase said gear might be ,please chime in.

My wife is certified for starting IV lines and we both have some basic medical training from the miitary.
    Armageddon Catering....Providing All Of Your Post SHTF And TEOTWAWKI Needs.

Forget the butterflies (IMO). They are used essentially for drawing blood for labs - that's about it. No point in that. I used to see a lot of that stuff on ebay. Don't know if they still allow that type of stuff though.

You just need drip sets and 9% saline solution.

What yall reckon about expired saline solution, its stored dry but not temp controlled. Have some bags that probs 2-3yrs past their dates.

Quote Originally Posted by classeair View Post
    You just need drip sets and 9% saline solution.
    Ouch. Thats 0.9%.....decimals matter, a LOT.

And IV's are of marginal utility, IMHO....if someone needs one for trauma, they will need a lot more care - where is it coming from?
    Good medicine in bad places

I would never give an I.V. to any one who can swallow liquids in a SHTF scenario... a little sugar and or salt in water is a much better solution. (Gut wounds are another story) Broths and teas are easy to make, and while time consuming to get someone to sip, it also provides you with the time to better evaluate condition. If someone has heart or kidney issues an I.V. can seriously jack them up. The biggest risk will be infection. Clean can never be understated for both the patient and care giver.
    Last edited by willfull 1313; 11-14-2013 at 07:32 AM.
    The only thing more dangerous than ignorance, is arrogance.

i have a few expired bags of iv juice also alredneck, i think the plastic bag deteriorates and ruins the solution. or so im told. you can get new dated ones and stay on top of them. theres a guy at my gun shows that sells medical supplys, he always has or can get anything to stock your emergency field hospitol. i have very basic skills, that is my main area i want to improve in. i have the basic run of the mill military training. but thats not much. i watch alot of the current militarytraining videos on youtube to try to refresh myself on use of the equipment i have. but have never had to hit someone with a decompression needle or iv anyone. knowing how to and having done it is a big wall.

I have often wondered about this, IV's and such type of equipment, but for me it's real low on my list at this point in time.

After reading a fiction SHTF story I have also considered the considerations around storing my own and immediate family members blood type and/or plasma, frozen I guess......anyone else already doing this, thoughts?

Joe - NY

Yeah. Fiction.
    Good medicine in bad places

ivs are great after a hard night drinking...lol joking