Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FINALLY! After 12 years of wanting to homestead, the dream is within reach!

Default FINALLY! After 12 years of wanting to homestead, the dream is within reach!

So some of you know I've got goats. I've pretty much be having to rely on the good graces of friends and family to actually have them, because I currently live in a condo in North Idaho. My parents have the goats and their horses on their 11 acres 30 minutes away from me. But things have been changing in the real estate market and in our family dynamics.

My MIL has always had the dream is living close to us and our kids. My husband had that with his grandparents growing up and she really wanted to duplicate that. My FIL just wants to get away from a mortgage. I want land, my husband wants enough room to have his friends over for tabletop or computer gaming(he's not a prepper, but goes along to get along). So we've all decided to go back to the old ways and create a three generation home with all 6 of us. I get my land so I can finally live with and milk my goats consistently. Nana gets to see the kids all she wants, hubby and FIL get a workshop, we all get to live in a nicer, newer house(hopefully).

So here's how crazy the real estate market is in the CDA area. My parents bought this condo for us 5 years ago as a short sale for $120k. They decided that if we agreed to sell it, they would pay the capital gains/taxes/realtor fees from the proceeds and I would "get my inheritance early" and be gifted the remainder. We put the condo up for sale, asking $250k and had 14 showings in 48 hours. It was NOT an open house. There are so many retiring cali refugees looking for property up here. 1 hour after the last showing, we had 5 offers and took the solid offer for $268k. I'm gonna be homeless by mid-October. My mom figures they will have around $225k to send our way once it is all done.

That was phase one. Phase two starts today. My in-laws are getting their house photographed today and their house will be listed for $425k on Monday. They are also approved with a VA loan for $120k if we need it.

Phase three is the hard part. Finding an existing house on at least 2 acres, hopefully 5 acres or build or go through a builder/developer. Building is terrifying, but every time we find something that fits our needs(there are four cooks in the kitchen), it has offers upon offers and is gone. So fast, which we understand, because we just took advantage. At this point we are leaning toward a developing 5 acre neighborhood and just waiting and waiting. We would be waiting if we did the building ourselves, because most well drillers/etc are months if not years out.

BUT, this means we are strapped into the rollercoaster and it ends with me GETTING MY HOMESTEAD! Goats! Chickens! Rabbits! Garden! Walipini! LTS food cache! WHOOHOO!
    Last edited by Renee; 09-18-2020 at 01:44 PM.

Congrats Renee! What a wild ride... enjoy the experience!

We hope to do something similar here.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Excellent Renee! I know you'll be so happy when the ride comes to an end and you're relaxed in your new home. It can be so draining going through the whole process.

We've been dealing with it ourselves but luckily, we own our land outright and already live on it. Prepping the land and going through all the bureaucrat crap. Sad part is, our property is unrestricted but, the builders and site make ready still is a PITA! Our house should be finished by the end of Nov. I can hardly wait to get moved in.

Our issues were dealing with the lender. For some reason the law says you can't have two dwelling on one property. That makes no sense to me.. Anyway, we finally found a way around it... And everything is underway. All this took months to finalize which seem rediculous to me.

Anyway, good luck and so happy for you!!!
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

You probably already thought of this, but daughter tried to get me to buy her a goat herd when she was in culinary school in St Helena, Ca, land of the loons. Anyway, to further demonstrate how backwards the state is, instead of paying grazing fee, they charge to bring in goats to "naturally" remove underbrush in forested areas. Obviously they are a little shy on goats, but folks are actually paying the goat rancher, farmer, herder, whatever, to bring them in and graze through. I guess you need a herd that is well trained to electric fence and fence yourself, but that isn't hard.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

awesome
    congratulations !

Congrats! Good Luck.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    You probably already thought of this, but daughter tried to get me to buy her a goat herd when she was in culinary school in St Helena, Ca, land of the loons. Anyway, to further demonstrate how backwards the state is, instead of paying grazing fee, they charge to bring in goats to "naturally" remove underbrush in forested areas. Obviously they are a little shy on goats, but folks are actually paying the goat rancher, farmer, herder, whatever, to bring them in and graze through. I guess you need a herd that is well trained to electric fence and fence yourself, but that isn't hard.
    Yeah, there are herds up here that do the grazing. Mine are for show and dairy, so I'd be a little scared to let them out and about. Maybe the bucks, but I'm reducing those guys down to 2-3 boys. I don't keep wethers, no use for them but to sell as pets.

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    Excellent Renee! I know you'll be so happy when the ride comes to an end and you're relaxed in your new home. It can be so draining going through the whole process.

We've been dealing with it ourselves but luckily, we own our land outright and already live on it. Prepping the land and going through all the bureaucrat crap. Sad part is, our property is unrestricted but, the builders and site make ready still is a PITA! Our house should be finished by the end of Nov. I can hardly wait to get moved in.

Our issues were dealing with the lender. For some reason the law says you can't have two dwelling on one property. That makes no sense to me.. Anyway, we finally found a way around it... And everything is underway. All this took months to finalize which seem rediculous to me.

Anyway, good luck and so happy for you!!!
    Yeah, they have more restrictions in Kootenai county than Bonner, where my parents are. You have be outside of certain city limits, because some go by a point system. Like you get 10 points per acre to "spend" on animals. 4 points for a horse, 5 for a cow, 4 for a goat. Can't manage a herd of 20+ with that system. Kootenai only says you have to .75 acres for livestock. My goats in Bonner are on .3 acres right now, 2 acres would be heaven for them, they wouldn't know what to do with themselves. I'm leaning developer just because we can get everything we want, but don't have to deal with permitting. Hoping to land in a certain school district so I can get my son into the local public STEM school. So many things to align!

Congrats, Renee!
    Prep to live off grid. Since the fires here in the Democratic Republic of Oregon, our power has been out. We are at the end of the line, and just about the time they get to us, late Fall storms should be knocking down branches and trees.

I LOVE the idea of having a multi-generational home! I think that was the way we were meant to live.
    "You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

Congrats Renee
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13