Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Body armor? What do you like?

I have an old IIA vest still laying around from when I worked security. If I can ever spare the money, I'd like to add at least a level III, but preferably a level IV stand alone ceramic plate for the front, and just go with a level III stand alone steel plate for the back, in a carrier.

The steel back plate will save me some dough, and they are as "multi-hit" as you can get. The projectile either passes through or it doesn't. The ceramic breaks up absorbing the rounds, so, sooner or later it's used up. The ceramic has much less "spall" than steel, which is why I choose it for the front, where the spall can create small splatter injuries to the face and arms.

Realistically, if you've used up a ceramic plate in a short time, you really need to find a new AO. I'm currently living in an urban area now, so I'd want the plates to at least get me out.
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations, FFL 07/SOT
    Glock Advanced Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by X-cop View Post
    Are there chest plates and helmets for dogs too? I ask seriously.

Having personal body armor is better than not having armor. But we all know a high powered rifle caliber head shot will penetrate right through a kevlar helmet which only protects against shrapnel and pistol rounds for the most part. Most people do not have neck armor, leg or arm armor. So a shot to the head, or anything but a graze to the neck will take someone out. Even a shot to the arm or leg with a 7.62x39 or 7.62x51 will pretty much incapacitate a person if it does not kill them. Front and rear plates will not help if a high powered round hits someone from the side and goes through to the other side. Armor gives us some protection, but it's not a Tony Stark Iron man suit. Now THAT'S armor! When I saw that film when he made the first suit in the cave, I was having ideas and thinking about a friend of mine who makes medieval suits of armor and I also thought about the German WW1 augmented helmet front armor and armored face plates and the machine gun armor. A person could hammer out or even cast their own full body/head thick steel armor that would stop just about anything short of a .50 cal, but it would be too heavy for our own muscles to support. We would need some sort of powered hydraulics like Iron man had or even the terminator. The average person doesn't have the finances for that. Ultimately, the best total protection armor option for the average person would be a tractor with treads or a car with foam filled tires that someone welded 1" thick sloped steel plates onto enclosing the whole cab. So we are back to the tank again. Lol. Until someone invents a high output, portable energy source to work in an iron man suit or terminator type exoskeleton that we would climb inside. I also like Ripley's loading suit she used to fight the alien with. Imagine having that with wearing your body armor and being inside it and welding some sloping steel plates to that and you'd really have something like the big bad robot that fought robocop. Just some ideas.

Last edited by Revolverteer; 05-11-2009 at 05:01 AM.

Here's some armor I like strictly from a historical standpoint. Might have some application today in static situations.

I have the book entitled....The German sniper 1914-1945 wherein on page 22 and 23 it shows pictures of German personal face steel armor similar to the photos below. Interesting book. I recommend it.

WW1 German helmet front armor.

WW1 German sniper face armor.

At the sides of the helmet are two large lugs, which served two functions. The first function was for ventilation of the helmet; and second function was to support a heavy armored plate, called a Stirnpanzer. The plate was notched so that it could hang on the lugs, and was secured with a leather strap that fastened at the back of the helmet. Issued along with this armored helmet plate, was a set of sectional chest armor, called lobster armor by collectors, which weighed 35 pounds. It was thought that this armor would protect sentries and machine gunners who were more exposed to enemy fire than other troops. Generally the soldiers threw the armor away at the first opportunity, as wearing the cumbersome armor in the trenches was of dubious value, making both the helmet plate and lobster armor quite rare today.

The M1916 Stahlhelm with Stirnpanzer

A soldier poses for the camera with M1916 Stahlhelm
    with Strinpanzer and body armor.

German sniper loop(trench plate),weight 30 pounds.

WW1 German sentry's body armor.

German WW1 chest armor.....
    http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-equip/german.htm

WW1 medieval design, American helmet armor. About useless but interesting.
    http://www.discoveryof.com/eZine/New...070321-001.pdf

Last edited by Revolverteer; 05-11-2009 at 05:06 AM.

If you have the ID to get it, Protective Products International makes a nice 3A concealable vest. The VIPER model is what I would recommend because it gives you side protection that most other vests don't offer.

Oh and if your LE/Corrections/Etc, you should be elligible for a federal grant to pay for half of your brand new vest.

Quote Originally Posted by bourneshooter View Post
    BS meter pegged at the max.

New AP rounds manufacture for anything larger than .22 (that allows us to own the SS109/M855 Green Tip 5.56x45 ammo) are prohibited for civillians by federal legislation. State law may further regulate that and say that old ammo isn't grandfathered in but in most states it isn't.

Mere possession of anything doesn't make a person dangerous. You sir are dangerous in my mind because of your apparent ignorance of the laws regarding AP and how you make allegations with that false understanding. By calling somebody dangerous because they happen to have ammo that penetrates something harder than cloth, only makes me believe that you are dangerous.

Sorry if I seem so pissed off by your comments, but it truly is annoying when people make these allegations based on media lies.
    As diplomatically as possible..... and I agree with the moderator that this should be kept civil. I do disagree that the composition of a bullet is in fact very relevant to this thread, because I would rather educate some folks here on what their armor will actually defeat and what it won't or "might" not.

On to the point. The ss109 bullet in the M855 "green tipped" round has a mild steel core, is specifically exempted from the AP class of ammunition by federal law. It is by no means armor piercing and that is why it is legal for civilians to purchase. Although it is considered a penetrator round. So tell me who is dangerous? The person that knows what an AP round is and the laws regarding them? Or the person that doesn't? If anything you are a danger to yourself for not knowing. I don't really see why anyone is jumping on my ass about this.......... Do you not like hearing the facts? I personally would be scared of someone that owned true AP rounds. I wouldn't feel safe in my house, car, or in my armor. That makes them a danger to me.

I know someone who has true AP rounds. They don't scare me one bit.
    It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to [he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any life-threatening attack made upon him with a deadly weapon Gibson v KY,34SW936

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHunter_EKY View Post
    I know someone who has true AP rounds. They don't scare me one bit.
    Definitely a good point. As long as you or your buddies are the ones that own them....... then it's all good!

"I was having ideas and thinking about a friend of mine who makes medieval suits of armor and I also thought about the German WW1 augmented helmet front armor and armored face plates and the machine gun armor. A person could hammer out or even cast their own full body/head thick steel armor that would stop just about anything short of a .50 cal, but it would be too heavy for our own muscles to suppor"

Ned Kelly did that back in Australlia. He had pretty good success. The WWI style would probly be do able for any decent smith out there who has the tools and a forge. Heck you may be able to buy it from Militaria shops or online auctions. There is a set of Polish Hussar armour (i think) in a store here thats uber expensive. Not bullet proof but dang sexy.

The North Hollywood bank robbers did pretty well too with more or less doubled up vests tapped to them under cover alls.

I don't think they make plates for dogs. From what i saw the dogs hated it and getting the dog in it was harder than getting the guy you were sending the dog after.

Armor from whenever, be it iron mail or Kevlar and ceramic doesn't make you invlnerable. It adds time that you can hang in a fight and kill the other guy before he kills you. It gives you time and a better chance not invulerablity.

They also make kevlar barding for hoses but it is _expensive_ afaik.
    Last edited by X-cop; 05-11-2009 at 07:49 PM.

The inventor of this exoskeleton armored suit called "The Trojan", claims it to be bullet proof, knife proof and explosion proof. I'd like to see some tests, but if true, I'd love to have one of these. At these links.....
    http://majikthise.typepad.com/majikt...it_invent.html

http://www.editinternational.com/rea...=47ddf1d94ea5f

Quote Originally Posted by X-cop View Post
    "

Ned Kelly did that back in Australlia. He had pretty good success.
    The Kelly gang armor.

Ned Kelly's personal armor. His was the only one of the four sets of gang armor to have shoulder protection.

The other suits of armor from the Kelly gang. All were killed in the battle except for Ned who was wounded, then tried by an English puppet colonial Australian court, and hanged. He was Australia's Jesse James. The armor was reputed to stop a martini henry rifle bullet. The armor was made from plowshares with quilting inside for padding, and some of the pieces such as parts of Ned's shoulder cups are missing and in private collections so these photos do not show every piece, but most of it.

Last edited by Revolverteer; 05-11-2009 at 10:52 PM.