No announcement yet.

Travel Trailer Electrical Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good luck with Major! I've been meaning to inquire about his progress.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by flock6 View Post
      Good luck with Major! I've been meaning to inquire about his progress.
      Thank you Flock & everyone. Going to keep it brief.

Major did well on day one, and would have qualified except for a handler error (me) due to being out of the ring for a year plus. Day two... I don't know where his focus from day one went, but it was gone baby gone... not even close. Sigh. Looks like we have more work to do... hoping to finish up before the temps hit triple digits but that hope is fading by the day. We'll see.

(ETA: there is a show in Lodi in late June that we have a shot at... average temps there are 88-90 degrees for that week but can easily hit 3-digits starting June 1 historically. I think it's worth a shot)

The electrical drain was too much for these old deep cycle lead-acid batteries and even with some daily help from the generator we did not have 24/7 juice - fortunately we did not lose anything to thawing in the fridge thanks to cool overnight temps. I'm going to have to replicate my home LiFeP04 system aboard the Ritz (with modifications where appropriate). We were also forced to park in an unfavorable spot for solar, but the main issue was the batteries - probably pushing 8 years old at this point. (Just checked... two of the four were bought in 2012, so nine years old - definitely past the best-by date).

Approval for acquisition of the needed items (cells and BMS) has been secured and an order will be placed shortly. Other gear (charger etc) will be acquired closer to when the cells actually arrive.
      Last edited by bruss01; 05-19-2021, 11:59 AM.
      "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Orders placed for the battery cells and BMS - shipping estimates arrival is somewhere between June 9th-23rd. That gives me a few weeks to get the rest of the project lined out and start assembling the other needed components. Fortunately, as this is something I've done as recently as this past Dec/Jan, I am not starting from scratch here and will be working with some known quantities instead of feeling things out and building/learning on the fly. This will be another 840 amp-hour system with twelve 3.2v cells in three rows of 4, for a 12v system voltage. The BMS will be a smaller 150 amp unit (compared to the present 250 amp on the home solar) because the trailer needs are a typically lot less than household.

Most recent home solar/battery backup redesign/rebuild using newer lithium iron phosphate cells (LiFeP04 or LFP)
        https://www.whenshtf.com/threads/469...857#post781857
        Last edited by bruss01; 05-19-2021, 11:55 AM.
        "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Comment

• It looks like the vendor elected to ship the cells in sets of 4 - understandable as they are pretty hefty and breaking them up this way makes it a lot easier on the delivery guy's back. The first 4 of 12 arrived yesterday, very well packed for the journey. So this project will be ramping up soon. I haven't really done anything on the effort yet due to a family situation that's required a lot of attention, but as that is mostly handled at this point I'll be able to start acquiring the connecting bits and get the fab work under way (bus bars for one). My chief adversary this time of year is the heat - we typically get many triple digit days June - Sept here and I'm sorry, I'm just not working outdoors in that if I can help it. We just had a 112 degree day, on a Saturday of course and a 109 degree day the following Sunday - I'll take a pass, thanks. Weekend mornings and the occasional temperate day will have to suffice, which will mean slower going than if I could work on it full time.

Comment

• yuk to those kinds of temps!
            Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Comment

• All 12 of the LiFePo4 cells have now arrived. Apparently that shipment got held up a bit in customs. They look terrific, all identical and very securely packed for the journey. This is the best shipment so far. They look functionally identical to the other set acquired last year, but I'll have to break open the Power Box and grab the tape measure to be sure they're actually the same.

Bad news - the wall-power charger (which has worked amazingly well with the Power Box) is on back order with another shipment not due until August. They have a shipment arriving next week but that one is already sold out. They related that they've had a supplier bottleneck overseas... possibly the global chip shortage, but I didn't get any detail on it. Looks like I need to get on the waiting list pronto. Price has gone UP to just over $300 from the just under $250 I bought it for late last year. I'm going to stick with this unit though because it's a proven performer with the right amperage and LiFePO4 compatibility to handle a bank of this size.

If I really needed to, I could "borrow" the charger from the Power Box - but I really would prefer not to mess with it now that it's in a put-together state. I'll more likely go ahead with the assembly, holding onto the old Iota 55 amp charger for now. It's about 50% less amperage and isn't ideal for LiFePO4 chemistry, but supposedly the BMS can compensate for the charge profile. I don't expect to need it much between now and mid-August. I may not even have the battery bank fully assembled by then if the heat wave continues here. We shall see.
              Last edited by bruss01; 07-15-2021, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• With the board upgrade, old thread links are no longer working.

Here's the new link to my related thread in my Home Micro Solar Experience:

https://www.whenshtf.com/forum/survi.../41068-/page19

Comment

Working...
                X