No announcement yet.

Bug out trailer project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas has been cracking down on stolen trailers. From what I’ve been told they aren’t too bad around here, but in Houston it’s bad!!! You have to get the trailer inspected in Montgomery County, but it’s not a safety inspection. It is an inspection by the county sheriffs stolen trailer division. If a vin number is found and it’s not registered to you, or if the plate that used to have the vin number on it has been removed then they confiscate the trailer.

Well, in 2004 I bought a small 4’X6’ utility trailer from Tractor Supply and the “plate” that had the vin number on it was just a sticker. So needless to say, after just a couple of months of use it fell off. Those counties that confiscate like this need to investigate themselves for theft.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Comment

Well, got the trailer registered in my name. Cost $150 but it’s legal now and I didn’t have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get it done. Took the state form, the bill of sale, and the license plate to the county tax office.

So now I can get this project started!!!

I’ve been placing quit a few parts on eBay for this trailer on my watch list for the last month. Didn’t want to order the parts till the trailer was in my name. Well, I checked on the parts yesterday while I chauffeured my wife and mother-in-law on a shopping trip and discovered they had gone up in price! Yikes!! So I deposited some cash and ordered some parts.

The trailer already has an outside locking RV door handle, but the corresponding inside handle is not there. I placed an order for a new inside and outside RV door handle. The door is made out of aluminum so it won’t be too difficult to open the inside of the door with an angle grinder to mount the new handle. It also has a dead bolt incorporated into it so a little door jam modification may be necessary too.

Two 4” diameter ceiling lights were ordered. These are surface mount. The plan is to have one mounted in the front by the side door and one in the back at the back doors. Each will have their own switch. I might wire the rear light with 2 switches; one by the side door and another at the back door.

A multi purpose switch panel was ordered. This switch panel has 5 switches, 2 USB charging jacks, a volt gauge, and a standard 12 volt cigarette lighter style power outlet. This panel will probably be mounted by the side door close to the removable battery bank.

A 12 volt 30 amp power supply was ordered. This will be for when we are camping and have 120 volt electricity available. 30 amps is enough power to run all of the 12 volt items in this trailer all at once and have a good amount left over to keep the battery bank charged up.

An RV outside electricity port/door was ordered. I want to make sure that if we need to, we can have electricity connected to the trailer and have the doors closed at the same time. The only way to do this is to install a small door on the trailer RVs have so that you can open and be able to connect an extension cord to.

The only other big purchase I’ll still have to make online for this trailer is a powered roof top vent fan and solar panel(s). Pretty much all of the other electrical parts I already have and most other general parts and hardware can be purchased locally.

Comment

Placed another couple of orders this morning. Last night I stumbled across an eBay listing for a new, old stock flexible solar panel. This solar panel is 7’ long and just shy of 4’ wide. It will almost cover the entire roof of the cargo trailer perfectly!! The ad states that this manufacturer made several different wattage versions of this panel, but the one I ordered does not have a label on it. So it is listed as the lowest wattage panel this manufacturer made which is 160 watts. But it could be up to their highest output version which is 240 or 260 watts. Either way, I think this is going to be the best option for a low profile solar system. Since there is no aluminum frame, it won’t be as obvious that there is solar on the roof, unless you are at a higher vantage point and can look down at it.

In order to control the panel, you need a solar charge controller. I’m partial to the EPEVER Tracer line of charge controllers. I’ve owned a few of them and they’ve always worked well. They are also customizable. So I can program it to charge the lithium battery pack to 14.9 volts if I want to(high voltage alarm on most power inverters sounds at 15.0 volts). The maximum voltage of the battery bank once I’m finished building it will be 16.8 volts so setting the charge controller to 14.9 won’t be stressing it at all. With the computer chip shortage, these are starting to be hard to find. So I found one rated for 30 amps so I went ahead and ordered it too.
        Last edited by 91CavGT; 06-14-2021, 08:51 AM.

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q-AvITuPjns

Here is the introduction video to my newest project.

So today the 12 volt power supply/battery charger arrived. The outside 120 volt power cord cover arrived as well.

I started digging through some of my electronics stash and came across a car radio that will work perfect for the trailer! I know what y’all are thinking. “You put a radio in everything! What makes this radio perfect for the trailer?”. Well, I’m glad you asked. See, this radio is different than most. It is not just a typical car radio. It has a screen built in to it and it came with a camera that plugs into it! Presto, instant video camera security system! With a switch box and 3 more of these cameras, I can put 360 degree coverage all around the trailer if I want to, and it can all be monitored from inside without having to crack open any doors! During a SHTF situation, this would be a perfect setup to check on those bumps you hear in the middle of the night. I also found two speakers that were pulled out of a new car a little while back so those will be used. The old portable power center will be taken apart very soon and some of its parts will be used inside the trailer. The fuse panel, cooling fan, the battery(which is being updated and increased in size), and the battery management system will all be used in the trailer.

Over the last few days all of the parts arrived, including the solar panel! It really does take up the entire roof, but more importantly, it puts out more power than the advertised 160 watts!! In the sun, my meter showed 77 volts and 3.39 amps. This equates to a 260 watt solar panel!!! So with the MPPT charge controller, this should put about 15 amps of current into the battery bank.

Got the floor sealed up inside and mostly sealed up underneath too. So now I’m about to start installing the parts that I’ve got on hand.

Unfortunately, we ran into a financial crisis so no new parts are going to be purchased for the trailer for a while. Despite my health getting worse, social security seems to think I got 100% better over 2 years ago and has not only canceled my disability but has also stated that they over paid and I now owe them $51k that is due in 30 days. So starting today I’ll be on the phone a LOT trying to get this sorted out. Meanwhile, my wife is freaking out about it all which is understandable.

So work will continue but only with the parts that we already have on hand.

Comment

Great progress on your rig, Cav. Good luck wrangling the bureaucracy.
            "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Comment

Are you shlting me? Something fishy is going on there my friend! Oh man, I would be livid! I'm so sorry you have to deal with such bullshlt Cav. I will keep you in my prayers.

Case and note... This is EXACTLY WHY my husband and I have never, and never will be on any gov pay, and that includes Medicare or any form of disability monies coming from any form of government. They can and will find a way weather legit or not...

Originally posted by 91CavGT View Post
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q-AvITuPjns

Here is the introduction video to my newest project.

So today the 12 volt power supply/battery charger arrived. The outside 120 volt power cord cover arrived as well.

I started digging through some of my electronics stash and came across a car radio that will work perfect for the trailer! I know what y’all are thinking. “You put a radio in everything! What makes this radio perfect for the trailer?”. Well, I’m glad you asked. See, this radio is different than most. It is not just a typical car radio. It has a screen built in to it and it came with a camera that plugs into it! Presto, instant video camera security system! With a switch box and 3 more of these cameras, I can put 360 degree coverage all around the trailer if I want to, and it can all be monitored from inside without having to crack open any doors! During a SHTF situation, this would be a perfect setup to check on those bumps you hear in the middle of the night. I also found two speakers that were pulled out of a new car a little while back so those will be used. The old portable power center will be taken apart very soon and some of its parts will be used inside the trailer. The fuse panel, cooling fan, the battery(which is being updated and increased in size), and the battery management system will all be used in the trailer.

Over the last few days all of the parts arrived, including the solar panel! It really does take up the entire roof, but more importantly, it puts out more power than the advertised 160 watts!! In the sun, my meter showed 77 volts and 3.39 amps. This equates to a 260 watt solar panel!!! So with the MPPT charge controller, this should put about 15 amps of current into the battery bank.

Got the floor sealed up inside and mostly sealed up underneath too. So now I’m about to start installing the parts that I’ve got on hand.

Unfortunately, we ran into a financial crisis so no new parts are going to be purchased for the trailer for a while. Despite my health getting worse, social security seems to think I got 100% better over 2 years ago and has not only canceled my disability but has also stated that they over paid and I now owe them $51k that is due in 30 days. So starting today I’ll be on the phone a LOT trying to get this sorted out. Meanwhile, my wife is freaking out about it all which is understandable.

So work will continue but only with the parts that we already have on hand.
              Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Comment

Hang in there, Cav.

Comment

Thank y’all.

Got them on the phone this morning and they said that because I tried to work full time during the summer of 2019, they are stopping the disability. This despite the fact that I only worked for 1 month(2 1/2 weeks of which was sitting in an office going through training) because my foot would not allow me to continue working. So the following months I went back to working part time of 22 hours a week. But it doesn’t matter. I exceeded their maximum money made in a month. It does not matter what the doctors say.

So in a nut shell, I am being penalized for attempting to improve myself.

Comment

sorry to hear that
                    the goobermint is about as caring as a fence post
                    reminded me of this old fed ex commercial - they just don't care
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHAFUoLXWWg

Comment

Well, got the wood on the underside of the trailer painted now. That should help the wood floor to last longer. Used an oil based porch paint. It was considerably cheaper than undercoating but should last just as long since we don’t get salt on the roads in winter. The weather stripping on the back doors was falling so got that replaced too.

Got it all done just a couple of hours before my wife got a phone call letting her know that she got a new job! It’s perfect timing since over the next week and a half we have a chance of rain every day. So now we can move all of my wife’s teaching supplies in one trip without anything getting wet.

Comment

Sounds as though things are startin' to come together for you, sir. Glad to hear it.

Comment

Working...
                        X