Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

long range HF wire antenna has come down...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long range HF wire antenna has come down...

A portion or leg of my Long range HF antenna has come down and hence I am not using it.

I have begun some preliminary steps to re string it high up in the trees and will be trying to get the rest of it properly strung up some 70 feet in the air on that leg.

More to follow...but I need to get this leg back up and operating and have my station Q5 ...ready to go.

It is always something around here..

Also I need to change the electric heating elements out in my hot water heater...

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

Hey OT,
    You might want to try to configure that antenna into an inverted "V", with half the length on either side of the feed. The middle is suspended and the two ends are anchored to the ground, but electrically isolated. It is a good omni directional antenna with a medium take off angle. I have several that double as guy wires on my tower.
    "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.”

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Uncle View Post
      Hey OT,
      You might want to try to configure that antenna into an inverted "V", with half the length on either side of the feed. The middle is suspended and the two ends are anchored to the ground, but electrically isolated. It is a good omni directional antenna with a medium take off angle. I have several that double as guy wires on my tower.
      Now that's thinkin' with your dipstick! Great idea, I will keep that one in mind!

How long until someone in an HOA neighborhood, who wants to put up an antenna (but can't due to HOA rules) instead puts up a decorative wind-vane with guy wires? LOL
      "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Comment

Crazy Uncle..

I have several G5RV antennas put back for emergencies and also the same for VHF/UHF frequencies....emergency antennas.

This is of course a loop antenna and I have been able even to tune it locally for 6 meters.

Thanks for the idea...but have other issues here now of priority...hot water heater....is not working...got new elements for it today..,.,

Never changed out a heater element in a hot water heater but there is a first time for everything...

Just before that ...refrigerator quit..now have a new one..my olde one did not last a day out on the curb before someone picked it up.....when it rains it pours....

Will get a handle on the antenna ... hopefully by the weekend...

Don't these big breakdowns...crisis happen in threes....wonder what is next!!??

Thanks to all..

Orangetom
        Not an Ishmaelite.

Comment

A G5RV is a loop antenna? How so?
          Good medicine in bad places

Comment

You can change the elements without draining the tank if you're quick. I it all the time.
            Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Comment

You really want something to bake your noodle? My antenna tower is electrically isolated and has a feed line connected to the base. It doubles as a vertical dipole. That means I have 3 omni directional antennas on the 15-30, 40, and 80 meter bands Topped off by a yagi. It takes a little planning and sounds complicated, but it works.
              "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.”

Comment

Originally posted by Fidel. MD View Post
                A G5RV is a loop antenna? How so?
                No...my G5RV antennas are dipoles....and for emergencies....portables..

My loop antenna is a 500 foot roll of 12 gauge stranded wire from Lowes..and fed by ladder line.

I can set them up as a loop if so desired but as is they are dipoles..

Orangetom
                Not an Ishmaelite.

Comment

Have managed to re string my long range wire loop antenna and made as contact from here in Virginia to Prince Edward Island, Canada on 75 meters....for a radio check.

The system is working.

I put a new pully in the system to ease the strain on the support lines...but still need to go to the hardware store and obtain a spring to put behind the pully to further ease the strain.

The line is also suspended some 15 feet higher up in the air than previous...so that should help..

Glad to get the system back on line.

Orangetom
                  Not an Ishmaelite.

Comment

Got up a bit early this morning and decided to cut my grass before the rain from this tropical storm arrived.

In making circles with my riding lawnmower...I discovered why my long range HF loop antenna was giving me funny readings on my meter.

One section of it had fallen again. I will be using my boat pole and new fishing reel and a 3 ounce teardrop sinker to run a line over the trees to re hang the wire.

I have two more 12 gauge stranded wire rolls...from Lowes....500 feet length as spares ...for just such occasions and or happenings.

I tried to get on again with my friend out in Tennessee and got non normal readings on my meters telling me something was very wrong.

Glad I found the problem. I will repair it in due time.

If need be I can put up a quick Dipole antenna for the HF bands as I have also put away several G5RV antennas but verily like this 500 foot wire loop antenna.

Orangetom
                    Not an Ishmaelite.
                    Last edited by orangetom1999; 07-08-2021, 01:42 PM.

Comment

I don't stash prebuilt antennas for emergencies. I have a spool of 12ga stranded wire with brown insulation and an assortment of baluns and ladder line. In an emergency, I'll just build one. I need to rebuild my current one. It was a windom cut for 80m, but the squirrels got to it so I cut it down to work for 40m.

Reconfiguring as an inverted-V is a good idea in this case. Even one leg down and one leg up it'll work. You'll just have to change tuning a little (either for your tuner or tuning the antenna length). It may give you a lopsided radiation pattern, but it'll work.

Comment

by Austin Rob..

Even one leg down and one leg up it'll work. You'll just have to change tuning a little (either for your tuner or tuning the antenna length). It may give you a lopsided radiation pattern, but it'll work.
                        Agree....some years ago we rented a cabin and I set up a G5RV in a sloper configuration and it worked fine in connecting with my friend out in Tennessee again...

I hooked it up to my Yaesu FT 100d in my truck ....and no problems with the copy on 75 meters.. There are things you can do even out in the field to help your rig to get out....and or make do.

Orangetom
                        Not an Ishmaelite.

Comment

Working...
                        X