Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's some lead for you, all 79,060 lbs of it: http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD

Comment

AWESOME tutorial,CFI !

Comment

Damn. I'm bummed out to hear that Glocks should not be fed cast bullets. What is the reason for this. Also, if I do get into casting the most common round I would be doing is .223 being fed to a Colt M4 with a 1:7 twist.

High pressure, high velocity and aggressive twist. Should I scrap this idea?

Comment

Great post! Great pics!

Comment

Originally posted by Chinook View Post
            Damn. I'm bummed out to hear that Glocks should not be fed cast bullets. What is the reason for this. Also, if I do get into casting the most common round I would be doing is .223 being fed to a Colt M4 with a 1:7 twist.

High pressure, high velocity and aggressive twist. Should I scrap this idea?
            Probably. Glocks polygonal bbl is not friendly to cast. They recommend no reloads or a voided warrenty. I have not shot lead in my 1:7 AR but do OK in the 223 bolt.

Comment

most .223 rifles have a twist rate that is too fast for cast bullets. shooting them in an AR is a bad idea as they'll likely disintegrate in flight. even light jacketed bullets have this problem. cast is ok in rifles with a 1:12-1:14 twist (bolt actions) when velocities are kept below 2600 fps or so.

as for the glocks, the information i've seen is there was a kaboom several years ago and glock blamed it on the cast bullets. i know many people who shoot cast bullets in polygonal barrels and never have a problem but i would suggest buying an aftermarket glock barrel with cut rifling just to be on the safe side.
              "Glocks may well work everytime, but they have all the beauty and character of a black rubber doorstop." - Rice Paddy Daddy

Comment

check out a forum called "castboolits.com". you will find it a place full of great info.

Comment

Originally posted by radali View Post
                  check out a forum called "castboolits.com". you will find it a place full of great info.
                  Wow an actual helpful post
                  One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
                  One day somebody's gotta say enough!

Comment

Ordered two boxes of 41 magnum 100 count each of 250 grain Cast lead....Wide Flat Nosed Gas Check bullets. These are heavy loads and am working up a load which is not to hot to handle follow up shots yet has plenty of power/penetration.

These are the first gas check cast bullets I've used and they work nicely. Very little to no leading detectable in them in a load over 1100 feet per second.

They have enough mass to do deep penetration in a hunting load.

Also ordered a box of 500 count 210 grain 41 caliber copper plated cast bullets for other uses.

This should keep me in reloading condition for this calibration for some time to come.

Orangetom

Comment

Working...
                    X