• 1 cup all purpose flour
    • 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
    • 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
    • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter,, melted
    Filling:
    • 6 heaping cups fresh strawberries and rubarb. Hull and quarter the strawberries, and chop up the rubarb either in 1/4 in ribs or split the ribs before slicing.
    • 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, bourbon, or your favorite hooch.
    • 3 Tablespoons cornstarch

All of these amounts are guidelines. A starting point, if you will. The "dump" method has never failed on this recipe as long as you don't play with the crumble too much. So anywhere between 1/3 strawberries and 2/3 rubarb, to 1/2 and 1/2. It all depends on taste and what came out of the garden. Same with the crumble.

Place into a 12 or 14 inch cast iron pan, uncovered and put in a BBQ at or around 350. If you like a smokey flavor, now is the time to add a few soaked wood chips to your coals. If you are cooking over a camp fire. put a cover over the pan and shovel some of the coals over the cover and place the whole thing on the dying embers of a fire.

I have a Komado type cooker, because it gives me the excuse to sit outside, enjoy the smell of smoke, sip whiskey and throw a ball for the porch hound every so often.

About 1/2 hour to 45min, and enjoy!
    Last edited by Crazy Uncle; 07-04-2021, 12:38 AM.
    "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.”

Comment

That sounds delicious
      Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Uncle View Post
        Strawberry Rubarb Crumble:

Crumble:
        • 1 cup all purpose flour
        • 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
        • 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
        • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
        • 1/2 teaspoon salt
        • 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
        • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter,, melted
        Filling:
        • 6 heaping cups fresh strawberries and rubarb. Hull and quarter the strawberries, and chop up the rubarb either in 1/4 in ribs or split the ribs before slicing.
        • 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
        • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, bourbon, or your favorite hooch.
        • 3 Tablespoons cornstarch

All of these amounts are guidelines. A starting point, if you will. The "dump" method has never failed on this recipe as long as you don't play with the crumble too much. So anywhere between 1/3 strawberries and 2/3 rubarb, to 1/2 and 1/2. It all depends on taste and what came out of the garden. Same with the crumble.

Place into a 12 or 14 inch cast iron pan, uncovered and put in a BBQ at or around 350. If you like a smokey flavor, now is the time to add a few soaked wood chips to your coals. If you are cooking over a camp fire. put a cover over the pan and shovel some of the coals over the cover and place the whole thing on the dying embers of a fire.

I have a Komado type cooker, because it gives me the excuse to sit outside, enjoy the smell of smoke, sip whiskey and throw a ball for the porch hound every so often.

About 1/2 hour to 45min, and enjoy!
        That sounds so good I'd bet if you set a plate of it on top of your head, your tongue would slap your brains out trying to get to it!!!

Comment

You want to be a hero at your hunting camp? Mix the dry ingredients together in two bags. One for the topping, one for the filling. Freeze the wet ingredients in their bags. You know where I am going with this... right?

Mix the wet and dry, and cook over your campfire. Trust me on this. You will become the camp cook and they will happily drag your deer back from the gates of hell, if you would just make that treat again.

And they call ME the Crazy Uncle!
          "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.”

Comment

Hunting camp, they? What is this nonsense?
            Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Comment

There are 4 generations of hunters in our camp. I am the oldest hunter there, and I am passing on the best trails, hunts and areas to the next generations. Place names that mean nothing to other people, but pin point locate our hunting spots to our family. Old places that aren't on any map, but the ones in our heads. Old homesteads, old trails, springs and seeps that were taught to me, when I was young. I am teaching them how to move through the woods without GPS, maps or compasses, so they learn the terrain. This year, I am taking them out to a place I used to hunt with my grandfather. You can't get back into that area, except by horseback, so we shouldn't see many people.

At the end of the day, we all come into camp, deer hanging in trees, and stories to tell. It's how my Grandfather learned the area, how I learned the area, and how my grand kids are learning. One day it will be their turn to pass it on.

Comment

I too, have fun teaching the younger generation, in the group, old/colloquial place names. We can describe how to get from here to there, without anyone listening in knowing what we are talking about.
                =
                Make America under God Again
                Truth-Justice-&-the-AMERICAN-Way

Comment

Seems as if you may have a smidgeon of Dan'l Boone running through your veins. Not nearly enough folks left like that anymore. Good show, old chap, jolly good show!!!

Comment

Could be.
                    Like Daniel Boone, I have never been lost. There were a few days for a while there, I was very confused. But not lost.

Comment

Working...
                    X