Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: When SHTF Master List

This all amounts to tens of thousands of dollars.....

Quote Originally Posted by nypba View Post
    Lists like this are of little use because each persons needs are different. Example, "tripwire, 1". What is 1 tripwire going to do?

Just saying. It is a good guide though but I would not recommend a static list to anyone.
    Wouldn't dental floss work just as well? And they'd end up with minty fresh ankles, too!

Wow, we have alot of things stored, but nothing compared to that list... lol way too much for my brain to comprehend....

Lists like this are of little use because each persons needs are different. Example, "tripwire, 1". What is 1 tripwire going to do?

Just saying. It is a good guide though but I would not recommend a static list to anyone.
    True. Anyone just waking up and realizing they need to prepare (better late than never) don't go out and buy everything on that list. You really need a plan before you get most of your gear and supplies. And unless your house is really remote I wouldnt suggest you keep most of your stuff there. Always keep what you need with you. Weapons, gear bags, small food supply, first aid, maps, radio, tools such as multi tool, small hatchet, camp shovel, knife, fire starter etc. For most people, if and when shtf, you will be moving to another location. Keep this in mind.
    One of the most important things not mentioned in that list is: have help! What I mean is, get a group together if possible. People you know and trust. Your chances of survival are much better within a group. Plus you can share the cost of your bigger items. Gennies, wheelers, etc. Just something to think about.
    KISS Keep it simple stupid

These are good lists and they contain some great info. I wish I had everything on them. I would caution all to learn how to use the stuff and live the lifestyle though too. If you think you're going to live one lifestyle today and then hit the road and transition to making a go of it being self sustaining you will have a very steep learning curve. If I had my choice - before I spent a lot of time and effort stocking all this stuff I would first move to the country and adopt a self sufficient lifestyle somewhere semi rural where the people still make it a habit of helping each other. Stuff will only get you by for so long - the ability to produce your own food for long term survival is obvious. How many people can grow a 1/2 acre garden where they live? Has the soil been worked already? There will be a big difference in the produce that comes from a new garden and one that has been worked. Good luck tilling that new garden if you don't have a tiller and lots of fuel.

V/R Chance Contact

i believe your list is a good list but may i make a few suggestions:assetaling tourch set small portable, plasma cuter,welding helmets,flint starter, welding gloves, boltcutters ,two of each set metric and standard(wenches ,line wrench), a ballpin hammer, 2 of each set1/4 in,1/2 in, 3/8 in drive shockets metric and sandard) deep and shallow,eletrical set: tester, eletric tape, wire strippers, wire connectors, soder gun and soder. you said gaskets i would go with gasket mertial(it is cheaper and still good) a foo bar screwdriver set, star bit set, allen weatches and T-weatches. Some power tools ,if not power tools air tool, or both: grinder(one with changeable heads so you can use a wire brush, belieave or not some you cant change to a wire brush),circular saw(yes they do make this in a air tool),sawsall(i have one that i can change to chizel, and its a air tool, it just expensive), chezel, a drill, inpact(1/4in,3/8in,1/2in drive). Any speciallise tool you will need to fix your equipment.
    For your equipment, i would carry excata breack set on each truck(if not two),tires and rimes, small part like starters, altantor,raditoter, break lines and trans lines not formed (the tool to form it, and compressed fittings and the tool for that, haft shafts(if 4by4)gas tank,gas pumb,lights (unless you plan on doning what i am goning to do and get black out light and night vision, get extra of those)wipper blades. And i suggest a tow system(i am planing a tow bar system like the army has, even if i have to make it myself)

like i said your list is good, i am just trying to give you suggestion, if i named something you have i just didnt see it.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerKrue View Post
    With all due respect, do you have a reference/source for this law?
    In an emergency the "goobermint" has it's self given authority to "requisition" what ever it wants. Food, fuel, whatever. We had a large storage fuel tank back in I think 77/78 when there was a major winter storm and the state had problems getting diesel delivered. We had a tank with 2500 gallons in it. The state got a court order to "requisition" fuel from area business's and farms until they could get fuel delivery on normal basis. They Took our fuel for state highway trucks ( all but 100 gallons) Then WE had to submit a request for reimbursement to frankfort and PROVE we had thee fuel and it was our property. It took almost 8 months to get paid ( not replaced fuel) PAID at the rate the state paid for fuel Or about 60 cents a gallon LESS than we paid for it!
    Yep they (the goobermint) can and will do whatever they want to do. Even if they have to do it at gunpoint or threat of imprisonment.

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Tripwire is excellent for making snare's, fishing line, several things besides building boobytraps. I have 4 rolls in my BOV.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Anybody put pencil to paper to tally up the cost of this list??? I see where my $$$ has gone.
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Talking God Bless You

my wife and i have been half-ass preparing from time to time for several years now but three weeks ago we decided to get serious. we have spent the last week begining to build a list like the one posted here. now all i have to do is add a few things and start buying. this is going to save me so much time i can read other threads and might actually learn something.

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Fryd Chickn Ninja View Post
    my wife and i have been half-ass preparing from time to time for several years now but three weeks ago we decided to get serious. we have spent the last week begining to build a list like the one posted here. now all i have to do is add a few things and start buying. this is going to save me so much time i can read other threads and might actually learn something.

thanks again
    Great job!!! Remember you can do a lot of preps for $5 or less. For example:
    2 12 packs of ramen noodles $ 4.75
    3 boxes ( 5 envelopes) of lipton cup o soup) $ 4.50
    1 of the camping multi spice jars from walmart camping dept. $ 4.95
    1 mountian house dehyd bacon/eggs meal $4.99

These are just a start there are several hundred preps you can do for minimum $$. Here is a good site to check out. www.beprepared.com
    Just don't get discouraged. I have seen several people start out full steam and as time passes ( a few months) they lose interest in it as the novelty wears off or they don't see the progress they think they should. They want to just quit. Luckily most of them I have been able to talk into continueing to prep. I have been doing it for years. I still don't have the level of preparedness that I want to be at. I have between home/BOV/ trailer. aprox. 5 months of supplies currently. Thats food, medical supplies. I have about 1,000 gallons of fuels after recent purchase. That's kerosene,gas, diesel. However if I have to BO i'll have to leave most of the fuel except for gasoline behind and only able currently carry outside of vehicle tank(s) an extra 100 gallons of gas. I am pretty good on weapons ( 4 handguns, 5 long guns) and about 40k rounds of ammo. It still isn't enough after 10 years.

So keep on prepping it WILL add up. If I can help any way just ask.