Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9495556575859

Thread: Jobless and living in my truck... (with Pics)

Here is an idea for anyone living in a vehicle and out of work:

With a bad economy, crime goes up... so the harder jobs are to find, the more security is needed for many businesses, thereby creating a demand for other types of work. Many companies like Lumber yards, car lots, strip malls and warehouses can not afford security in tough times like these. So instead of camping in their parking lots using stealth, make a business out of it. Approach the owners and offer your security service for FREE ( or cheap, like $20 a day, which they could never hire security for that cheap), if they let you stay in their parking lot and give you access to electricity, you can provide security in exchange.

I have a 4 camera DVR, a dog, and a cell phone, so even though I would not do the job of the police, I can call the police or the owners if I see anything. My mere presence can deter theft in the first place, so there is no question as to the value of my presence on their property. I also do security and automation work and can consult too.

Yes, to legally do security, you have to get a license in most cities, which requires being sponsered by a real company, so I offer my services as Stastical Monitoring, and not security. Once I get bonded though, I plan to have my own security company so I can sell my services as legal security. And maybe even as Armed partol services. For now though, I just have my own card and flyer and I offer the services for free, so there is almost no obligation or legal hassle and the business owners "get it".

There is a creative way to turn any situation into an opportunity! I have a 100 ideas.... more than I could ever do in my lifetime, but I am not a "dreamer" either, as I have made many into realities. I have a job working remote 40 hours a week, and I have a permanent place to stay with a friend, I CHOOSE to live in a van, it is a dream I am making come true. I want the security and freedom that a mobile dwelling offers. And if I lose my job, the impact is minimal. I lost my house, my cars, everything I owned a couple years back and I will never let life hold a threat like that over me again.

Vaughn
    OpenSourceAutomation.com

Guns...

I am no legal expert, this is IMHO, and how I do things. I carry a FIE .380 pistol, it is in a small gun safe in the back of the van.

When a LEO ask me:
    "Do you have any weapons?"
    What I hears is:
    "Do you have access to any weapons that pose a risk to my safety?"

I say "No!"

My gun is locked up and is not relevant to the safety of the officer. To admit I have it would be silly and only give them reason to verify my claim and search my vehicle. The gun is not accessable and is not relevant. The back of my van is my home and I do not consider it relevant to the driving compartment of my vehicle.

I have never been searched, but if things went that way to the extent that I have to open my safe for them, I would disclose the fact there is a gun in the safe before opening it for them. When being searched, the gun becomes relevant, but not until that time.

Vaughn
    Smartvan.blog.com

How to be a web designer without being a web designer and stay free wherever you go:

Website tech can be varied and is a career in itself, so I don't recomment that non IT people just jump in and try to make a living doing it as the needs of most companies web sites will be to difficult to create, BUT...

If you get 1 web template for an RV park, learn it and know how to customize it, most RV & trailer parks do not have web sites and even your primitive template is more than what they have. So you can go to RV parks across the country as you travel and say "Hey, I am not selling anything, but I noticed you do not have a web site. I can build you a site by the end of the day and have it hosted for free, forever, if you will trade me a few days of camping here"

As you get better at the sites, the more appealing this offer would be. And as you become more experienced in the field of RV Campgrounds, search engines and other sites you can profess "Not only can I give you a site for free, but for a couple extra days of camping, I will post reivews and links to your campgrounds on every major site out there, which will drive you lots of business." "I will even post on some of the forums telling travellers what a nice undiscovered little paradise you have here". And lastly, what will really sell this is after you do it a few times is you have other campgrounds you have done for references! "Look at what I did for this campground! And it did not cost them anything but a couple days of electricity!"

Can you be a great web designer in a week? Probably not. Can you specialize in publishing simple campground websites in a week? Definitly!!!

In my world, there is career after career available to you that you can be making money at in less time and effort than most people go through taking a single college course. Opportunity in life is about creativitly, not following the path society has laid out for you. Colleges are businesses that want your money, they are not need for soooooooo many careers.

Good luck and be creative. Every American should own their own business, even if they work full time. I have a full time job, but it is 1099 based, so that is already my first sucessfull business that allows me to run other smaller un-profitable ventures and take deductions for them since the company as a whole makes money. I have 3 seperate businesses that do about 10 different projects, and only 1 makes me money, yet they are all successful. My Automation Software is free to the world because of this...

Goodluck, and maybe I will see people at RTR and share more ideas, but some I have to keep to myself =)

Vaughn
    OpenSourceAutomation.com

Even if you do not have the permission of whoever owns a parking lot, it does not mean you are not working there...

When a LEO wakes you up in the middle of the night and accusses you of being homeless or living out of your vehicle... how much better is it to say:
    "I am working, my DVR is recording traffic patterns for my monitoring business, here is my card"

or even

"I was programming and dozed off"
    "I am photographing this are to sell my printed coffee mugs to local businesses, and just dozed off. I have to do it in the evenings when no cars are blocking my view"
    "I am publishing a blog about people who do live in there cars or are homeless, and watching parking lots for vehicles is how I do my research."

there are so many ways to have an interesting reason to be in a parked car at night besides "being homeless". This is America and your business has a reason to be there. Maybe the LEO will still make you move, but you dispell his suspecions that you are a danger, threat or are homeless...

Vaughn

TD, how far is your cabin from society? Directional antenna and cell phone boosters can increase your range for miles. Even if you can not get internet with any antenna, maybe the guy between you and town can, so if you help him get internet, he can act as a repeater and then you only have to reach his place with your antenna.

I want a place in the middle of no where, but not without the internet! I know it seems like a contradiction, but it is one I MUST solve in order to live in BFE =) Hopefully technology will solve this.

A friend of mine lives about a mile outside of a little town in Kansas. There is only a couple houses near him, but he is up on a hill, and could see the gas station (Truck Stop) at the edge of town, so we climbed his Light pole outside of the house and aimed an antenna at the gas station and he can use their wifi signal. I think solutions like this are becoming more feasable all the time as more and more places offer free wifi. (I know in some cases like this, it is not ethical to do this) This person did not stream movies or anything on the free wifi, just needed to send emails and check FB, so I did not feel too guilty.

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by trooper dan View Post
    First of all, I dont take a handout from ANYONE, especially the government. People that are freeloaders are scum and the rest of us hard working americans have to carry their asses (because we work and pay taxes).

I do not know what you are implying, But I wrote and contributed to this topic to indorse self-sufficency. not "check this out guys! I'm getting a free ride on welfare and free food that your tax dollars pay for! And you can do it too!"

Well when the economy collapses and martial law is enacted the people getting a free ride from the government are going to have a hellish wake up call.

Infact I still live in my truck at a tent site, the only difference is that I have a hot shower and a little bit of privacy. I AM STILL LIVING IN MY TRUCK!
    It amazes me the people that think since we are survivalist or simplest we freeload, nothing could be farther from the truth. As Dan will back me up, we buy gas and pay highway taxes, pay sales tax when we buy non food items at stores. Because we live on the road does not mean we are freeloaders, and the person who lives of the government check is not a survivalist in any way. Trust me folks that will be the first thing that dries up when SHTF. I do the same thing Dan does, except I have it a little harder with an older smaller RV, but I still manage. What really amazed me is not having a TV for the past 3 1/2 years. I read books every night, learn, learn and learn. People who live in yuppie houses and sit in a cubical are the farthest from reality in my book.