Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Jobless and living in my truck... (with Pics)

Interesting. you look like your doing it well. I dont know what would happen to me if I was put in a situation where I am homeless. It may happen... I , right now, live in a basement apartment with a roommate I dont really like... I have no privacy, and no job, and trying to find a job as time and money run out. I want to go back to school to get my double major degree which so far has taken me almost 10 years to complete. I went and dropped out a couple times...

I have jumped around multiple times for work, so my resume doesnt look so hot.

But I DO have a place right now, and Im raiding my mothers pantry for chips and chez its to eat sometimes.

I got into a motorcycle accident and F'ed up my wrist, so now it doesnt bend right. If I fall on it, it will break again. Going to physical therapy for that. But not really being strict enough on myself and exercising it daily like I should. I just hope it goes back to normal. I used to be into martial arts and dance. I wanted to do that more in my life...

Im only 30 and havent even filled out physically yet. But I really am having some hard experiences in life. All this stuff bothers me and I get depressed, and then I feel Im not working hard enough to make my problems better.... And I then think Im not going to keep things going enough to pursue my dreams of being a artist on some level...

You get older and put in a certain place with certain circumstances and you loose your ways. I tend to be a nice guy, and sensitive too which can be a setback in life.

Thought Id share my life a little bit. Seeing this post made me appreciate my circumstances a bit.

One question: If you have money in the bank, and a home, why did you decide to move into your truck upon loosing your job?

Kind of reminds me of being on tour with a band. I miss that life I little bit. You look good/healthy. That's probably the most important thing.

I am so glad I own a cargo van now. If I had to go this route, the transition wouldn't be too hard for me now.

I think we can ALL learn a lesson from you. Good luck down there and I feel that the campground was the way to go.

Before i got married i was able to move everything I owned in one trip with my 87 pathfinder. I lived in studio apartments. My dream was to retire and live on a sailboat.
    Now that i am married my wife would want to take all the furniture and cloths - anyone know where i can get an ocean liner cheap?

When i bought my 98 Dodge ram 1500 i outfitted it as a "Leave work Friday - Head North - Campout and Go Back to work Monday Truck".

I had everything i needed to live in that truck. Very little stress in my life.

Then met wife - now looking to buy an ocean liner for a BOV!!!
    Sometimes i wish my wife would be a bitch so i can hate her and leave - but she is great and worth giving up alot just to be with her.

+1 for this post Dan. A lot can be learned from this.

How do you go about your meat storage? Long term or short term?

Also Hot weather. On the hot nights I remember from the little amount of time i spent in FL the humidity sometimes was unbearable. How do you cope?
    Last edited by ZombieHunter_EKY; 01-27-2009 at 08:24 AM.
    It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to [he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any life-threatening attack made upon him with a deadly weapon Gibson v KY,34SW936

Thanks a lot for all the insightful posts! I will start off with the meat question.. Remember no refrigeration. There is a publix 2 blocks away so I just walk there and get fresh food.
    raw meat-2-3 days
    hotdogs-2-3 days
    eggs- 2 weeks+
    cheese-1-3 days
    REAL butter -month or more
    katsup, mayonesa, jelly, -months
    bread, bannas, Prunes, fresh fruit last a long time.
    100% fruit juices last 3 days
    apple juice lasts a mysterious while, up to 2 weeks
    canned food- nuff said
    Remember just one rule with food, if it smells bad, dont eat it!

As for the ventalation question, I have two screened sliding windows in my truck that are very efficient, it so happens that where I park I get a constant steady breeze from the east. I was thinking about hunting down some of those (cowl vents) for use on sailboats.

They make cheaper pvc ones, but you can turn the top to catch the air nomatter witch direction it comes.
    Last edited by trooper dan; 01-27-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: add pic

I have been toying around the idea of living in a vehicle for some time, and I used to own a nice conversion van for this purpose. But I soon came to realize that I was spending more money on gas than an apartment would cost me!

So I ended up selling it and then I got this toyota with a 22re engine, I get like 27mpg so its like having your cake and eating it too. The cap I have I bought off craigslst for 150$ a sweet deal considering a new one was $1400! The yakima rack setup was $70 also off craigslist, but for some time now craigslist has been an asset to me, of course none of this would be possible without the cap...
    I would also like to add other helpful items...
    Limo tint from lowes.. $16
    privacy curtains
    hobo sandwich cooker
    cast iron pan
    single burner propane stove
    Garmin 200w gps, very very helpful
    wshtf gear...duh

I would also like to say that if any of you find yourself living in a vehicle, contact me and ill share some of my old haunts with you. I know of a great place in Key largo, with jacuzzia pool and tiki bar!
    Last edited by trooper dan; 01-28-2009 at 10:04 PM.

[I would also like to say that if any of you find yourself living in a vehicle, contact me and ill share some of my old haunts with you. I know of a great place in Key largo, with jacuzzia pool and tiki bar![/QUOTE]

That alone makes me want to leave the freezing NYC weather and come down

I for one would like to thank you Trooper Dan for all the info you have shared so far...we are prepping for doing what you are LIVING and this is,in fact and encouragement to many,including me!Knowing that this type of survival(ism) is possible by one who is doing it is a good knowledge 'info-base'.

Is it possible that in these coming times that this forum board is a first means to 'communicate and co-ordinate' if needs be?Trooper Dan seems like hes 'doing right fine' and proving it...

again thanks Dan.

At any given time I am far more prepared than most people in anywhere. I cant wait till people turn on the faucet and no water comes out, they will be like WTF? No fresh water on this island, I have looked, and the only "fresh" water to be found is in swimming pools, everything else even estuaries are contaminated with salt water and who knows what else. I could just imagine the idiots running around the first three days of wshtf looking for water, that would be unfathomable/paranoia madness... I also have 5 gallon back up water with 2-3, 24 packs of water on hand at one time. Almost $200 worth of canned food in the black and blue boxes. some grains, but weight is a major consideration so my mobile stores are modest.

The only thing I would like to add is 4 jerrycans wich is coming in the near future. I have figured all you need wshtf is ample food, water, fuel, what more do you need? oh yeah... GUNS.. I do wish I had brought a few with me.

I have a super Cache back in ohio in my cabin, this is the most recent pic, it is now finished.I ran out of money before I got to the inside, the inside is bare and no woodburner=no heat. This is where I stayed over the summer until it got cold, I would everyday take a bath in the pond off the dock. I actually slept on the 2nd floor long before it was finished. Ever read Thoreaus Walden? It felt something like that.

and a rack, like on this 4 runner for my fuel cans..
    Last edited by trooper dan; 01-28-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Note: GODS OF EDEN a must read for the wshtf'er, assorted sailing literature, and what no-one should be without... THE CONSTITUTION, know your rights!

A recipe from some columbians I know...

2 eggs
    olive oil/butter
    2 green chilis
    2 hotdogs/ kilbasa
    spices, minced garlic
    makes a delicious treat!