Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Get That C&R

Whats the legality on ordering a rifle for someone else using your license? Not to turn a profit, just to save them some money.

It's not legal to purchase for anyone else with a C&R license. it is strictly a personal license, the second you transfer a firearm you are classified as conducting business regardless of profit, loss or break even. The purpose of the license is to simplify record keeping.As the license holder the BATFE has you onfile, completely checked out as well as onfile with your local PD. You buy for someone else you are circumventing the filling out of a 4473 and the Brady check.

You can ocassionally sell firearms you have bought, but are required to keep records of those sales similar to a regular dealer, but be careful, if it looks like you are conducting business or generating profit your butt is in a sling.
    Last edited by Paladin; 02-04-2009 at 05:20 AM.

Wait a second, I thought that with a c&r I could only order "collectables" online. C&R holders can order anything not just collectables and relics? Such as AR's and such? If so I'm going to fill one out right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MOlivo View Post
    Question: Say you bought a C&R using your license, and at some point wanted to sell it. How do you do so without it being a violation of that license?
    First you have to meet the requirements that are set by the BATFE for the sale of ANY firearm ( buyer can not be felon, under age set for specific type of firearm, ie 21 for hand gun 18 for long gun, and no straw sales), if the buyer is not an FFL or C&R holder you must follow state laws on firearms sales between private parties, and of course you must log it out of your book as sold. You ARE allowed to horse trade, but you are not allowed to show profit like you would if you were running a business. So you need to be careful about continious buying and selling especially if they are the same make and model of firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierPatriot View Post
    Wait a second, I thought that with a c&r I could only order "collectables" online. C&R holders can order anything not just collectables and relics? Such as AR's and such? If so I'm going to fill one out right now.
    NO! You can ONLY purchase firearms that are on the BATFE C&R list irrelevant of age. If it isnt listed you can not use a C&R license to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by agentem View Post
    I would like to get a C&R, however, I worry that if/when the SHTF and martial law is declared I'd be on a Fedral list of gun owners.

I've been buying at gun shows but would am interested in C&R to get better quality MILSURP over the internet.

How do C&R holders justify the risk of being targeted for a gun round-up?
    If you already own a firearm you are on the list.

That's what I thought thanks paladin. Got confused on another thread where they were discussing buying an ar and having a c&r, but they were just talking about discount for having c&r not using it to purchase. It was my mistake.

This might sound like a dumb question but ill ask it anyway. If i get a C*R license, do i need to get a pistol permit to buy C&R handguns? I would assume this is a yes, but i dont know so i thought i would ask

Quote Originally Posted by rove View Post
    This might sound like a dumb question but ill ask it anyway. If i get a C*R license, do i need to get a pistol permit to buy C&R handguns? I would assume this is a yes, but i dont know so i thought i would ask
    I believe the only reason you would need a pistol permit is if your local laws require it.

Aren't you opening yourself up for the "authorities" knocking on your door when ever they feel like it any coming into your home to check out your collection, just like if you have a FFL?