Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weapons coatings

Duracoats kind of soft, thats the only thing I dont like about it. Gunkote is a harder finish, and seems to take abuse little better.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbuilder69 View Post
    The few good coating options that I have used on my own and customer guns(besides blueing and parkerizing) are the Duracoat brand and the Cerakote brand of coatings.
    Duracoat: http://www.lauerweaponry.com/duracoa...tegory=220This is a very user friendly system in the sense that if you can spray paint and mask off details,you can coat your weapons. There are 3 types of options available @ lauer custom weaponry to choose from. The ez finish is just that, a self contained can of non aerosol propellant,a cheap airbrush,degreaser and the paint and hardener. instructions are provided with all kits. the level of finishing kits goe up to lvl 4 gunsmithing kit. these are all very user friendly/viable set-ups. my one suggestion; buy the ez kit to get the feel of doing the basic color coats and if it appeals to you, buy a small compressor for 60.00 bucks and a couple cheap hlvp top loading airguns. they send a dvd that entails the varius ways to create different camo patterns,as well as sell some good peel and stick templates. Also comes in durabake
    Anybody doing duracoatings that wants some cool patterns or mix,masking tips are free to ask.

Cerakote:http://www.nicindustries.com/firearm_coatings.php
    This is definately one of the better DIY systems out on the market. they have 2 methods available now similar to the lauer coatings, I find the cerakote dirties up the applicator and had to buy a toaster oven to bake the finish. This products results are amazing!!! they too come with step by step instructions and can be used with homemade masking and patterns.
    Any questions or help needed is my pleasure to answer. GB

****...I guess I did not need to quote all that!
    My wife manages apts.. and somebody came in a few weeks back and gave her a colt det. special in .38...I told her to keep it, but it has minor pitting on the frame..it is nickel...would duracoat fill in the pitting and keep it from getting worse? She is a big Tony Stewart fan and thought Orange, but not anymore...so maybe a one color OD or pink? And on second thought 2 color..because maybe the wheel should be different...any thoughts?

If you do decide to coat it, you will need to sandblast it first. The duracoat needs something to adhere to. Whether or not it would fill it in would depend on how bad the pitting is, but from my experience duracoat does a better job of cover up then gunkote.

Ok, so who wants a crack at this litle .38? and how much? I am thinking OD frame and black wheel. And are any of you that do this trustworthy enough for me to ship it to you from Seattle with return UPS paid.

I'd be happy to, but I dont know the legalities of shipping intrastate for the purpose of repairs.

as long as it is not a transfer it is ok. And has to go by UPS and someone over 18 has to sign.
    I have ben looking around at pawn shops for a 30-06 or something that is lacking in the bluing department to try. That way if it is messed up I can part it. But if it comes out great it is still servicable. I kinda like this.

http://shootandrunguns.com/images/sh...%202%20033.jpg

Because this would be no good in the pacific northwest..but does look cool>>>. http://www.jimsgunsupply.com/DuraCoa...r-duracoat.jpg
    Last edited by j3hill; 01-14-2009 at 04:41 PM.

Who makes a good parkerizing finish? I did a custom brake for my SKS, and want to recoat it after we bored it to fit.
    Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Nobody owes you anything. You're only entitled to what you worked for.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." - Optimus Prime

This summer I'm going to paint my shotguns. I have painted motorcycles ,so this should be a piece of cake.

If you are not an FFL holder, it is illegal to ship any firearm to anyone other than an FFL holder. You can ship a firearm to an FFL holder for purposes of modification or repair, and the FFL holder can return ship it to you.

Curios and relics (firearms made before 1899) are not considered firearms and can be shipped direct without an FFL being involved.

There are some curios and relics that are post-1899, and these cannot be shipped to persons without either an FFL or a C&R license.

Modern muzzleloaders are classified the same as originals.

Legally, whenever a firearm changes hands, a transfer takes place.

J3Hill cannot legally ship a firearm to MOlivio unless MOlivio has an FFL, or the firearm falls into the curio/relic category (made before 1899).
    Last edited by Gunfixr; 01-25-2009 at 11:11 PM.
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations, FFL 07/SOT
    Glock Advanced Armorer

My wife had some guy in one of her apartment buildings get a "overstay" notce on his visa.
    Korean I think he is, anyway he handed my wife a paper bag with a .38 colt det. special in it and said keep it. So she brought it home.
    It was kinda badly pitted (see the pics) so I am having it parkerized. What a waste of a collectable weapon, this one was made in 65. Worth about 1K...after parking it it will be about 300.00 bucks. (only 120.00 for the park job) But what the hell...it is a good shooter. I will put an after pic up next week when I get it back from the shop.