Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: NK threatens pain and suffering if new UN SANCTIONS are approved.

We don't have the technology to shoot down an ICBM from one of our warships? And in today's technological age? If not that's a damn shame and wtf!
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Quote Originally Posted by texasskeeter View Post
    We don't have the technology to shoot down an ICBM from one of our warships? And in today's technological age? If not that's a damn shame and wtf!

Well, we can technically shoot down ICBM missiles. HOWEVER, we have to be within 100 or 200 miles of the missile, we have to launch our anti-missile missile seconds after the ICBM launch, and we have to know the ICBM's trajectory. So technically, yes we can shoot them down. In reality, no we can't.

Not to mention if an ICBM was launched for the purpose of an EMP attack, we can't do anything about it once that missile is more than 200 miles away from the THAAD or any other anti-missile battery since an EMP would be detonated above the CONUS at a higher elevation than what our anti-missiles can go.

So with that knowledge, and with the knowledge of how our government has and continues to handle the North Korean issue, one question comes to my mind. Is our government wanting an EMP attack to occur?
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

U.S. allies drop live-bombs

I guess some sort of show of force.
    Really don't think it does much good.

Well, maybe it does.
    At least the USA is not trying to buy them off like past presidents have done.

Now, how quickly would one of our anti-missile batteries have to fire in order to stop one of North Korea's ICBMs? From the previous launches, I have roughly calculated that their ICBMs are traveling at an average speed of approximately 4,000 mph. So how long would it take one of these ICBMs to travel 200 miles? 3 minutes if it were flying at an average speed of 4,000 mph. Granted, it takes a little bit of time to accelerate up to that speed, so let's assume that it would take about 4 minutes for one of their ICBMs to travel 200 miles.

But wait, our ships are not at the launch site. If North Korea were to launch an ICBM with the intention to attack our mainland with an EMP, and if they were to use their north central launch location, our ships are already about 120 miles away. So how long would it take one of North Korea's ICBM's to travel 80 miles(since the range of our longest anti-missile missile is about 200 miles)? Just over a minute. Figure 2 minutes to allow time for the missile to accelerate.

So within 2 minutes of an ICBM launch is how long we would have to A) acknowledge there was a launch, B) figure out what kind of missile is being launched, C) determine the missile's trajectory, D) decide what we are going to do, and E) launch our missiles before the ICBM is out of range.

So technically, on paper, yes it is possible. In the real world, it's not going to happen. Not to mention, the failure rate of our anti-missile missiles is pretty high, and that is when conditions are 100% perfect.

I forgot one big equation. The speed of the THAAD missile. If sources online are correct, the THAAD missiles fly at about 5,700 mph (mach 8.4 assuming an average speed of sound is about 700 mph). So how long would it take a THAAD missile to reach the launch site of a North Korean ICBM(figuring 120 miles away from the THAAD launch site). Just over one minute is how long it would take. But in one minute the North Korean ICBM is already 67 miles from it's launch site, or 187 miles away from the THAAD battery.

So unless we were to launch one of our anti-missile missiles at the same time as the ICBM were to be launched, then we would not be able to stop it. Once again, technically it is possible but in the real world it is impossible.

I apologize if my math is not 100% correct. These posts were intended to just show how unlikely the possibility is that we could shoot an ICBM out of the air.

A) would be the last thing. All that other stuff will already be known. There is a long process of things to happen way before the actual launch. To think we don't know what's going on with them in real time and in anticipation is foolish.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    A) would be the last thing. All that other stuff will already be known. There is a long process of things to happen way before the actual launch. To think we don't know what's going on with them in real time and in anticipation is foolish.

Well, even if we launched our anti-missile missiles at the exact moment an ICBM was launched, the window to actually stop one of their ICBM's is incredibly small (in the order of seconds).

I'm sure our space station has some hidden goodies as well.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

by Hiwall..back on page 3,

You do know that we don't have that capability right? Unless we have some kind of super secret weapon that no one knows about.

and again by flock 6 on this page..

flock6

I'm sure our space station has some hidden goodies as well.

I don't think such a valuable tool or weapon would be put on the space station Flock6. The Space station is too international..to many prying educated and trained eyes for our government.

It may indeed be in outer space to get faster and quicker response times..more area coverage...but I don't think it would be in the space station.

As to super secret weapons development ...try this one out Hiwall.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=175623

and here in this newspaper article from the 1960s.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1...-2-spain-bases

Very interesting ..and telling.

This incident happened back when Charles DeGaulle was getting uppity and trying to show the world and in particular the USA that he was a "player" with whom to be reckoned.

He had decided he was going to fly some of his hotter jets ..the Mystere 6 over a super secret prohibited air space US base in Spain and take pictures/photos to show that he was a player and we could not stop him. DeGaulle had just recently kicked all the US military people out of France...to show he could go it on his own...and was a "Player."

All six planes crashed....they were hit with nothing!!! Six planes do not crash ...that close to France from whence they came. You mean..the French cannot figure out a proper fuel load out for 6 planes on a mission into Spain and back????

There were a number of incidents which happened in the late 1950s and early 1960s out in the western USA wherein all cars stopped...all electricity stopped....in small towns and it was attributed to a UFO kind of thing...but mostly kept quiet and subdued in the media...deflected. After awhile all the electricity returned...and everything went back to normal. But in the press and the mind of the public the UFO's won out.

Remember..this was back in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

I am not on the inside of anything..but I do know this history.

Textbook strategy is to show your kings...never your aces...until needed.

You generally see a lot of reporters ...on the piers when the fleet returns..around the surface ships and aircraft carriers...the bigger the better...lots of new coverage.

You usually do not see them around the submarine piers when they return....silence. Think about that!!

Free...no cover charge.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; Yesterday at 12:58 PM.