Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hurricane relief - help me plan

Default hurricane relief - help me plan

sitrep:
    my son and daughter in law and grand daughter live in South St Petersburg FL.
    they have evacuated to my sister's place in Orlando. She is LDS and has plenty of supplies and a decent place to ride it out.
    over a million people in FL without power already and they are projecting 4 M+ by the time the storm passes.
    power likely out for days or weeks for some, obviously worse closer to the eye - where my kid's house is.

current overall plan (subject to changes on the ground):
    Leave mid week for FL.
    Take my BOV#2 to St. Petersburg which is a 1982 diesel powered Winnebago RV.
    Pull my 12ft single axle trailer behind it with my 6kw diesel generator and 80 gallon tank w 12v electric pump. Might have to keep the diesel tank empty because the trailer weight is rated only for 1,200 lbs.

This is where I would like the group to help crowd source my detail plan and provisions because at this point there are lots of unknowns.
    I am assuming they will have no power and probably no public water supply either.
    The house probably damaged and will need repair.

The Winnebago is very self sufficient. Onboard 4kw propane generator, 50 gallons of water storage, AC, multi source refrigerator, etc etc.
    I will be topping off the diesel and propane tomorrow or Tuesday and will keep the diesel filled to at least 3/4 as I move south.
    Because I bought it for these situations it is stocked with plenty of freeze dried food and other things one might think.
    Also running a Tennessee Emergency license tag for getting thru those pesky FEMA / LEO roadblocks. It also has multiple CERT stickers / logos. And I will be wearing full CERT logo gear, so I feel pretty confident I can get thru.

Most of my water purification gear consists of multiple life straws but I think i need something a bit more capacity. Looking for ideas on that, maybe something like this:https://www.amazon.com/Survivor-Filt...s=water+filter

They live within a mile of a golf course with ponds where there would be lots of water available. I am also thinking a 12 v electric pump would be handy to pump water into a barrel to take back to their house if the water situation goes longer term. So maybe something like this:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XM5G70...=36HGGPZI8C9C1

They do live at a higher elevation than pretty much all of St. Pete so sewer backing up shouldn't (wishful thinking) back up into their house - but i need a plan for that and I am completely in the dark about that.

I have a pretty complete set of 18V dewalt tools that i will take along with all my batteries. Also lots of duck tape as well as fiberglass repair tape.

Not sure I will have the weight carrying capacity for much plywood, but might have to prioritize that.

Ok gang, time to put all the knowledge we have all been accumulating over the years into action.

Things I would take if possible... Chainsaw gas 2-stroke mix, chain, rope, loppers, axe, twine for tying up branch cuttings, cheap work gloves (as many as you can) batteries, extension cords and drop lights or LED floods for night clean up, 6-mil clear plastic, tarps, brooms, Toilet paper, paper towels, lots of first aid gear, 3" deck screws, cap nails, roofing nails, hammers once again as many as possible, sawzall and demo blades

They make an inflatable bag that goes in a sewer line and pumps up like a blood pressure cuff to block the line. Haven't seen one in a long time. You can always take the clean out cover off and let it flow out of there to avoid backup into a house. It's not the best way since there'll be poo everywhere, but what can you do?
    Last edited by ak474u; 09-10-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

thanks, i will add to my list which so far is this, which i just took from my main prep list and is all things i already have on hand:
    first aid kits
    8. Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.
    12. Charcoal, Lighter Fluid (Will become scarce suddenly)
    20. Washboards, Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)
    21. Cookstoves (Propane, Coleman & Kerosene)
    27. Aluminum Foil Reg. & Heavy Duty (Great Cooking and Barter Item)
    28. Gasoline Containers (Plastic & Metal)
    29. Garbage Bags (Impossible To Have Too Many).
    30. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Paper Towels
    31. Milk - Powdered & Condensed (Shake Liquid every 3 to 4 months)
    33. Clothes pins/line/hangers (A MUST)
    42. Matches. {"Strike Anywhere" preferred.) Boxed, wooden matches will go first
    52. Mosquito coils/repellent, sprays/creams
    53. Duct Tape
    54. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes
    55. Candles
    56. Laundry Detergent (liquid)
    57. Backpacks, Duffel Bags
    71. Baby wipes, oils, waterless & Antibacterial soap (saves a lot of water)
    90. Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws,, nuts & bolts
    96. Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.
    coffee filters
    instant coffee
    Eating Utensils
    NOAA AM/FM hand crank radio
    -Camp Stove( I like the duel fuel so you can syphone unleaded out of that abandoned car)
    compass, maps of area
    gmrs and frs radios
    ham radios
    scanner
    glow sticks
    zip lock baggies
    paper towels
    Zip ties
    paper like hepa masks
    Solar Camping Shower - 5 Gallon
    Bic lighters
    Rain gear- gortex or similar
    Waterless Shampoo
    Waterless Soap
    flashlights
    headlamps
    pvc pipe cutter

If your goal is to assist in their cleanup/wait out city getting back to somewhat normal. Food/water is biggest priority. How many do you need to feed and probably for some time. Stores may not be open for weeks. Also Security meaning weapons and of course staying dry in a flood zone. Everything else is secondary....
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Remember if you and yours are the only ones with power/lights on in your area keep vigilant about security!!!! There will be thousands out there wanting to come take what you have!!!
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

yep, bringing a small arsenal w me as well, lol.
    he lives in a relatively affluent area w pretty good neighbors. Many are riding it out so he will stay in contact w them long as he can.
    his BIL is an EMT there and they just evacuated his fire station which is out on Maderia Beach.
    sister in Orlando reports still have power but cable tv is out.

I feel your pain explo. Waiting on an update from my mom. I think they will be ok since she is on the east side. Either way I have gear ready to go. My brother and possibly a friend will make the trip. I have a 20ft trailer I can use to bring down whatever she needs. My concern would be the availability of fuel.

Good luck and stay safe.
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

Bleach. If flooding is an issue, you will need sanitation during cleanup. A case of gallon jugs of bleach and a cheap garden pump sprayer.

More fuel, like Texas, there will be supply and transportation issues. Take more than you think you need.

You said that trailer may be inadequate. What about what your family drives, and can it pull a rental trailer?
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

well i think i have a better plan.
    son's father in law is currently at his retirement home in NC which is not too far out of my way. Four hour drive.
    he drives a diesel 3500 dually.
    so i will load my diesel genny on the trailer along w my 80 gallon diesel tank and other lightweight stuff.
    meet him, transfer the empty tank to his 3500 and fill it up, then transfer the trailer to his truck.
    get supplies locally and head south.

had bleach on the list but thanks for mentioning the sprayer.

For items in the trailer and in the bed of the truck, you don't need to advertise what it is that you have. This means either put a heavy duty tarp over it and secure it well, or build a lightweight frame around the items so people don't see what you have from a distance.

This is probably the most important part. You MUST blend in with the other people in the area. Don't run lights at night. If you must run a generator at all, try to find a way to muffle the sound. In times of need when people get desperate, even good honest people will do what they have to in order to provide for their families. Don't stick out like a sore thumb and this will make things safer for everyone.

Just some things I learned from Hurricane Rita.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best