Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hurricane relief - help me plan

thanks, cav

guess i will be adding my night vision scope to the list of things to take.

son just said neighbor lost a big tree - fortunately fell away from their houses.
    they are still 12 hours from the worst of it.

Will your genny cary two houses? If so, include the neighbor and you have created a mag. Food and water will win friends but as stated, maybe bring in undesirables.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Night vision, 300Blk out, Suppresor, rocking chair yer good to go for 2 legged varmints!
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Will your genny cary two houses? If so, include the neighbor and you have created a mag.
    bingo.

one 4kw propane - with limited propane however - just 90 gallons onboard plus a few 20lb barbecue grill bottles, so probably wont' last that long. I don't' expect propane to be available locally - everyone in Tampa Bay will be grilling out.

one 6kw diesel genny (pretty quiet) with maybe 100 gallons of diesel. I am hoping that obtaining more diesel will be easier than what I fear about propane.

bringing enough heavy duty extension cords to power maybe a couple more houses. Obviously not hvac but maybe their fridge and some box fans.

just ordered 5 of these to install on his house or on the winnebago, bringing deep cycle marine battery and wire to run them
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...FZIK1KY5&psc=1

also bringing a couple 12ga trip wire alarms with pepper spray rounds - skeet that's about all I can do cause I don't' have a suppressed 300blk, LOL. But if any dinndo nuffin comes around with the saggy pants and sets one off they will have an extra load in their boxers, LOL

Those motion lights should work well. A few of them around and only going off for motion should last a while energy wise...
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Also, keep in mind that Hurricane Jose is still out there and could be paying Florida a visit in the not so distant future.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

I would think that under the circumstances, a can may to be the answer. It might be better for the security threat to hear the report of a round or two, I mean, you can't be expected to field dress them all.

I bought some little solar powered motion sensor spot lights for my kids houses. They work pretty well and were easy to mount up on the fascia of their houses. LED has made solar much more effective.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    Bleach. If flooding is an issue, you will need sanitation during cleanup. A case of gallon jugs of bleach and a cheap garden pump sprayer.

More fuel, like Texas, there will be supply and transportation issues. Take more than you think you need.

You said that trailer may be inadequate. What about what your family drives, and can it pull a rental trailer?
    In reading, it is said that bleach will not kill mold in flooded homes, although it will still purify water. I am told that a gallon of vinegar and a large bottle of hydrogen peroxide in a pump spray bottle will kill the mold, while bleach will only bleach the mold.

by Explo 72,

I don't' expect propane to be available locally - everyone in Tampa Bay will be grilling out.

Yup....by day three post Hurricane Isabelle....most people here without generators and fuel were grilling out.

I carried my 4000 watt generator between my parents house in the daytime and mine at night to charge up our freezers and refrigerators. I was too ignorant to purchase back then the wheel kits. That generator got heavy after a couple of trips. I have since remedied that shortcoming.

I have since bought three other generators and am ready to leave one at my parents house before the next storm...with fuel.

But one worries about freeloaders who had time for the Kardashians et al..but not to prepare for this. Two legged wildlife....freeloading or taking your generator/generators.

Some bum here stole a generator which was powering a traffic light system. Fortunately no one was hurt.

My .02,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 09-11-2017 at 10:27 AM.