Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ham for dummies

I'm with Chip. When it gets bad out there, I don't care who gets mad I'm using my Beofung radio illegally! Lol
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

If it gets bad out there, it'll probably qualify as an emergency and you legally won't have to worry about it. If it gets really bad, the FCC won't be around to slap your wrist.

Exactly! Lol
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Too funny. A friend and I were just talking about using radios if things got bad. We were like who is gonna come get us???
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

The benefit to having your license now is practicing.

agree with Daelith here...

The benefit to having your license now is practicing.
    By this I particularly mean quickly and efficiently navigating your way around the frequency spectrum on limited batter power. This because under certain emergencies...electrical power may be a very precious commodity.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

https://www.radioddity.com/baofeng-g...xoCoJ4QAvD_BwE

Is this a good radio? Seems cheap
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Is it a good radio for the monies??? Yes I think so.

I have some 8 or so models of the earlier UAV 5R type baofeng radios and also some 3 of the 8 watt models..they all work fine for the monies spent.

I had some 3 of the Icom T7H walkie talkies and these Baofengs do everything the Icoms do and do it less expensively.

Baofeng has priced many of the stateside companies...Icom, Yaesu, and Kenwood out of the marketplace with a product which works well and is priced very inexpensively.

I can afford to buy about a dozen Beofeng radios for what I paid for these three Icom walkie talkies. I'll Never do that again.

I can afford to Lose a Baofeng radio and not be out a lot of monies..same thing for damaging one. Not so with an Icom, Kenwood or Yaesu walkie talkie.

My .02,
    Orangetom

Baofengs are cheap and they work. The interface is more of a pain than better radios, but they work.

flock6,

I'll tell you what I did with my three Icom T7H walkie talkies. I gave them to a ham who goes through them and then gives them to newly licensed Hams to get them started. I also gave up one of my Baofeng walkie talkies for the same purpose.

That is how much confidence I have in the Baofeng walkie talkies.

I have one right here next to me in my radio shack though my base station radios are all here. I use it to monitor specific VHF/UHF frequencies stored in it.

Thanks,
    Orangetom