Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gov of Virgin island orders confiscation of fire arms

Let them try here, the one I have that didn't get lost in that boat accident, will be empty, smoking, and wrapped in my dead hand.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Giddy up
    Cry in training - laugh in battle

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    I thought so too, the same with Alaska, Hiwaii, Porta Rico, Guam........ It's my understanding ALL of the US, INCLUDING the Territories were under the same Constitutional protection and was ruled under the same bill of rights as well. I'm pretty certain the NRA lawyers would not initiate a lawsuit if these territories were not protected under the US constitution.

TG, PLEASE EXPLAIN.
    "TG! PLEASE EXPLAIN"
    Ok. 'Splaination: I was wrong.

Maybe. I'D read an article ....somewhere....making that claim. Apparently there's a legal case saying otherwise. I admit I'm not enough a legal expert to know exactly what the case is.

However, during Katrina the Second Amendment was ignored by Nawlins authorities and guns were confiscated, sometimes violently. I wasn't suggesting Virgin Islanders were safe from this....only that it depended upon the guard and what they planned to do. The refered to document authorized confiscation, but did not order it. That's bad enough.

Does the 2A cover Virgin Islands? I'll let other experts settle it. I withdraw my comment as being without foundation.

I suspsct this is not so much a move to confiscate citizen-ownsd arms and ammo as a blanket order allowing any under-supplied NG forces in the VI to re-supply as needed from gun stores etc. It is not going to be very efficient going door to door during a hurricane trying to scrape up an ammo supply from your average joes. They typically are required to write a recipt for any supplies commandeered during an emergency to be compensated after. That order also includes anything else like food, fuel, med supplies and vehicles. If you have a 4wd truck and they need one to rescue folks they will take it and tell you where to send the bill. It is a chain of islands and with a hurricane on their doorstep there is limited window to get hands on everything they might need. If they need ammo or any guns or supplies the sensible thing to do would be to hit the local gun store for the same reason Willie Sutton robbed banks.

I love love love a good conspiracy slant but i think there are other matters much more deserving of our collective paranoia than this poorly worded emergency supply order by an offshore governor.
    Last edited by bruss01; 09-06-2017 at 02:05 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGunn View Post
    "TG! PLEASE EXPLAIN"
    Ok. 'Splaination: I was wrong.

Maybe. I'D read an article ....somewhere....making that claim. Apparently there's a legal case saying otherwise. I admit I'm not enough a legal expert to know exactly what the case is.

However, during Katrina the Second Amendment was ignored by Nawlins authorities and guns were confiscated, sometimes violently. I wasn't suggesting Virgin Islanders were safe from this....only that it depended upon the guard and what they planned to do. The refered to document authorized confiscation, but did not order it. That's bad enough.

Does the 2A cover Virgin Islands? I'll let other experts settle it. I withdraw my comment as being without foundation.
    It's pretty confusing as to whether or not the US constitution applies to the US Virgin Islands. Apparently the US Virgin Islands' constitution is called the Revised Organic Act of 1954, and it doesn't include a second amendment like the US constitution. However, I believe that the second amendment still applies to the US Virgin Islands, because the Organic Act of 1954 is essentially the same as a state constitution. There are six US states that do not have a second amendment in their state constitutions (New York, New Jersey, California, Maryland, Minnesota, and Iowa), but it doesn't matter because they still must adhere to the US constitution (Federal law trumps state law). The NRA must agree as well, otherwise they wouldn't be threatening to file a lawsuit IMO.

https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/fi...icAct_1954.pdf

Maybe that chain of Islands should plan acordingly and prepare for such storms ahead of time. It's not like they don't get hit with one every 10 yrs or so....
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Who are they planning on shooting? Still sounds like an attempted gun grab to me.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Yup! And if I was in my 4x4 evacuating my family..... They can just take it? Or my food and water and leave me out in the cold? Uh NOPE! Not happening!!
    Last edited by texasskeeter; 09-06-2017 at 02:57 PM.
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Quote Originally Posted by texasskeeter View Post
    Yup! And if I was in my 4x4 evacuating my family..... They can just take it? Or my food and water and leave me out in the cold? Uh NOPE! Not happening!!
    Don't doubt they could but seriously doubt most would. Not unless the need was dire and few if any other options presented. But if there's a bass boat sitting in the barn and they need it to rescue people stranded in the waters they can take it. Not a pleasant thought because we value our possessions and don't always agree with the choices others may make... but that's how this works and it is not likely to change.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Quote Originally Posted by texasskeeter View Post
    Maybe that chain of Islands should plan acordingly and prepare for such storms ahead of time. It's not like they don't get hit with one every 10 yrs or so....
    Remember all that ammo bought during the Obama administration? Ever wonder where it all went? Looks like we can scratch the NG off the list of recipients at least in the Virgin Islands.