Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heads Up: Hurricane Irma

Default Heads Up: Hurricane Irma

Hannibal ad portas

Yep, I'm watching it. Looks really bad. Cat 5!
    Looks like it's coming into the Gulf. I wouldn't wish this on anyone! It's comparable to Carla. I was young but I remember Carla well. If this thing makes it to Galveston on in to Houston, that city is a goner.
    It shows it's crossing the Southern most part of Fla. Those people need to take note and get the hell out and not try to wait until the last minute. Stop challenging Mother Nature. You will lose!
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

winds are now off the scale.
    would be a Category 6 if there was one.
    180 mph sustained, 220 mph gusts.
    best hope is that it tracks a bit south of the current forecast and gets roughed up by Cuba and drops to a 2 or 3

Just thinking online......... if you're in Cuba where can you get out to?
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Just thinking online......... if you're in Cuba where can you get out to?
    venezuela

My BIL is a cop just North of Miami...he has to stay, and work.

IRMA is a land killer.

There's never been a Cat6 recorded.... Yet...
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    IRMA is a land killer.

There's never been a Cat6 recorded.... Yet...
    The current classifications end at a category 5, but there is talk about adding a category 6 classification. With 185 mph constant winds, that is high enough to destroy houses down to their foundations.

On top of that, the Florida Keys are square in this storm's sights. For those that have never been to the keys, there is a single 2 lane highway as the only way to get on or off of the islands. The Keys also are relatively flat. If those people don't leave now, there will be a lot of people that will never be found.

I'm praying this mild cold front we have coming through Texas will be strong enough to prevent it from hitting the Texas coast. Because if it did hit the Texas coast, it will take many years to recover, if the coast recovered at all.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Right now, IRMA has max sus winds of 185mph gusting to 210mph. It's still growing in strength. At this point, small land masses won't have much impact on its degradation before it makes its way into the Gulf!
    People need to get the hell out immediately, before traffic builds up and people are trapped!
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 09-05-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Fl keys already under mandatory evacuation.
    going to be real bad.
    my brother lives just n of west palm beach and plans to ride it out like he has all the others for the last 25 years, can't persuade him to bail out.
    his company does utility work and last Cat 5 (Andrew) 1992.
    he told me the story of one of his guys on a 80 ft bucket truck on Alligator Alley said he could see from the gulf to the atlantic, looked like a giant lawn mower went thru.

normalcy bias at work - made it thru all the ones before this one, will make it thru this one.
    hopefully he comes to his senses as the reality of what this storm will do gets publicized.