Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: norks threaten emp

Meh..... it would have to be multiple emp blasts over various areas to take us down imho...
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Quote Originally Posted by texasskeeter View Post
    Meh..... it would have to be multiple emp blasts over various areas to take us down imho...
    All of the grids in the U.S. are connected together except for the Texas grid. With how outdated our grid is, and with poor safety mechanisms it would not be difficult for an EMP blast to cause a daisy chain reaction which would take out a large portion of our grid.

I have a source in the power distribution industry and this person tells me our grid is in worse shape than what most people realize.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

I'm talking about taking down the entire Country. Imho it would take numerous emps to do it was my point. Yes 1 could hurt us but I doubt 1 could cripple the entire Country and render us completely incapable...
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

A single bigger blast of say 10 megaton or more could likely do a whole lot of damage over most of the lower 48 if set off at an altitude of 200 to 300 miles.

And where would that blast need to be, middle of the country?

Note from me to Kim: I think that warm feeling I have in my backside is you blowing smoke up my ass. So, either sh*t or get off the pot.

I'm tired of living to pay for stuff, I'm ready to live to live. I might not make it, but I'm ready for the challenge.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by texasskeeter View Post
    And where would that blast need to be, middle of the country?
    My reference earlier in this thread of Ohio was from previous research I had done that stated a single EMP blast over Ohio would take a rather large portion of the power grid of this country down. In the areas with no power, pure chaos would ensue within just a couple of days at most. That chaos would strain our remaining resources (troops sent in to keep the peace, supplies sent in from areas that do have power, ect.) and would make it easier (not easy though) for a country to gain the upper hand on us.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    I'm tired of living to pay for stuff, I'm ready to live to live. I might not make it, but I'm ready for the challenge.
    This.
    Cry in training - laugh in battle

They don't have to hit the whole system, they only have to take out a good chunk of our economic power. Permanently taking down the western states, the eastern states, or the heartland would cripple our economy and cause untold millions of deaths; even individually. If they can get a central hit to take out 80% of the continental US, the US would be hanging by a thread: near zero actual industry, no fuel, no power, little communication, and not enough resources to take care of anything except a small minority of the population in cities. Canada couldn't help us because 80% of their population would be caught in the blast. Mexico would be of little help, either.

You don't need multiple though, you just need to take out enough that it's impossible to replace in 3 to 6 months. Of the region affected, you'd be looking at a 75%+ mortality rate. Do it in November and it becomes a domino effect ten-fold. Would we be completely incapable? Of course not, but even hitting the low-population center may cause the loss of 30 million people and hundreds of billions if not trillions in GDP overnight. It would cripple the nation. Hitting the coasts, which would be easier, could see casualties over 100 million people (east coast is estimated at 112 million people, many in cities and completely unprepared for 3 months without support) and easily trillions in GDP loss. Even with recent gains, our economy would destabilize and the USD would tank. Could very well trigger mass exodus to another currency. The ensuing war would bankrupt us if we could even manage a decent response after trying to fix things (we're getting there all by ourselves as-is).

Would the acting nation survive? Of course not. The majority, if not all, of our military and government targets are hardened. Second strike subs would pave the source with spite and retribution of biblical purportions and make sure it glowed in the dark as a reminder of why you don't launch nukes at a world superpower. But anything's game beyond that. We might nuke everyone. We might kick off WWIII. Who knows at that point? Wounded animals are unpredictable.

The US as a nation would survive, but it would look nothing like it does today. The change would make 9/11 look like a slight change in policy.