Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Houston about to be slammed with storm surge

Default Houston about to be slammed with storm surge

Been following the news, looks like from corpus Christi to lake Charles Louisiana is about to be hit pretty hard. I know several of y'all are in that area, if y'all need any help, just ask.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I'm pretty far inland and so I might get a few inches of rain, but this thing is a beast!

It appears it will make landfall as a cat 3 or 4 hurricane, then stall out and slowly start moving back towards the gulf of mexico. From there it will potentially strengthen again before hitting Louisiana. The really bad thing about this storm is the sheer amount of rain it will be dumping. Most models show a rather large area of over 10 inches of rain over a period of about 3 days, and small areas picking up 20+ inches!

Cammie is about 100 miles closer to the gulf than I am. It might get pretty nasty there with a lot of rain, and potential tornadoes depending on where the storm hits and how far inland it goes.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

I am 100 miles from corpus... Expecting a bit of weather. Need to take down my antennas tonite.
    Armageddon Catering....Providing All Of Your Post SHTF And TEOTWAWKI Needs.

Quote Originally Posted by hadite81 View Post
    I am 100 miles from corpus... Expecting a bit of weather. Need to take down my antennas tonite.
    Hope you got my radio mailed

Quote Originally Posted by hadite81 View Post
    I'm hearing there could be hurricane strength winds 150 miles inland due to how big and strong Harvey is getting to be.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

It's Hurricane Harvey to you.

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    I'm hearing there could be hurricane strength winds 150 miles inland due to how big and strong Harvey is getting to be.
    A map I saw has 100mph all the way to Floresville just a little south of San Antonio.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

My kids are in prep mode in SA. I built BOB's for both but only son paid attention. I must have just missed it but ran to ranch to set brakes on windmills and fill feeders. After passing thru San Antonio apparently the bottom dropped out with some heavy rain and about half of the city is without power. So kids are fueling up, and checking candles, batteries, and such. Worse case they can come to our house.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Hearing refineries shutting down
    = gas price increase ?
    Cry in training - laugh in battle

I filled up all our vehicles this morning. I'm good with everything else. I'm not concerned with flooding on my place. We are on top of the highest point in the Brazos Valley, but below us is expecting at least 10" plus run offs and some high winds.
    We are about 40 miles from Kyle Stadium and can watch the tron from our front porch. We're that high up. Worse thing we will get up here is loss of grid power but we have good backups that will run two a/c units, the fridg and lights simultaneously. I pity the folks below us though, if this monster even partially reaches this far inland before turning around.
    The Brazos river bed and the Nav floods everything down there.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.