Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7th Fleet commander relieved of duty

Default 7th Fleet commander relieved of duty

Seriously? How can our navy allow two of our ships (recently) be rammed, damaged, crew killed by other ships? It's a legitimate question, how can this happen?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/23...y-mishaps.html
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Big deal...he was scheduled to retire in a month anyway. So, he still gets to retire with his O-10 pension.

The admirals....they take care of their own
    Good medicine in bad places

Just out of curiosity..... how is it the fleet commander's fault those ships crashed into each other? Doesn't the blame start with those whom captain the ship? Unless of course he was at the helm of said ships that crashed.
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Why should he get to still be commander if his guys are destroying our ships and costing the lives....lifes.... of our sailors? That's how it's his fault. Just like I'm responsible for the actions of my crews.

I get that part Flock, but why no news on the Captains that were in charge of those ships?
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Russia has some GPS weapons... Scramble and redirect GPS. This happened a few months ago when I was in Japan also.

I wouldn't expect to hear too many details, I have an acquaintance that recently made chief, not much out of him. As far as GPS weapons, don't they have eyes watching for crap like that?

Quote Originally Posted by texasskeeter View Post
    Just out of curiosity..... how is it the fleet commander's fault those ships crashed into each other? Doesn't the blame start with those whom captain the ship? Unless of course he was at the helm of said ships that crashed.
    That's where "the buck stops." How many collisions have there been? Four, now? Any one is bad enough. Such a event should normally trigger a stem to stern review of all procedures and disciplinary matters, as well as equipment and personnel readiness matters, to figure out how the event happened and how to prevent future events.
    This is a major embarrassment for our navy and our country.
    China has issued a statement claiming the U. S. Navy is a navigation hazard. That is "snark," of course, but even so, how do you counter it?
    My father graduated Annapolis, served in the U. S. Navy, was a Korean War vet.....he'd be stunned at this, and even I am taken aback on his behalf.....though I was never in the navy.

I agree TG where were the incident investigations. But again if not.... why haven't those ship captains been relieved of their command also?

I can see Mt Hood, Adams, St Helens and Rainer on a clear day

Quote Originally Posted by texasskeeter View Post
    I agree TG where were the incident investigations. But again if not.... why haven't those ship captains been relieved of their command also?
    Skeeter

Captain, XO, Duty Officer and senior chief on the Fitzgerald were relieved of duty last week. Similar action will be taken on the McCain. Relieving the Admiral of 7th Fleet was a given. CincPac has some explaining to do as well.Along the line of why doesn't ships in the Atlantic, Med and P Gulf have collisions with merchantmen...luck?

Ez