Thread: What a bonehead I can be at times...........

Default What a bonehead I can be at times...........

I got my stuff together yesterday to shove off to work and as per usual....and on my scooter.....scooted off on my usual route.

As I approached my work location downtown Newport News...I noted that many people were out on the street...out of their offices and standing around in groups.

My reaction was that the Shipyard was having a fire drill.

I scooted on down to the convenience store wherein I usually get two walnut brownies on which to snack during the night.

There in the parking lot was another group of people. I approached them on my scooter and asked..."Is there a fire drill going on ..people all up and down the street are out of their offices."

Their reply...No we are watching the eclipse."

What a bonehead...I felt so dumb.

The Eclipse was never a big deal to me....I was not particularly interested in it. I was more interested in finishing my journey, locking up my scooter/hobbling my horse...and getting in to work and enjoying my snack and a cool drink before starting the shift.

I reckon I am not much into running with the herd..but for a few seconds I felt like such a bonehead for forgetting what day it was.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

In 1972 I had just finished my two week summer camp courtesy of uncle sam and a two year enlistment (what do you mean I have to come back and play army). I took my vast sum of money i had earned and headed east from Ft Lewis washington on my 350 honda.

I ended up in nova scotia where I was riding past a school yard and I noticed all these people standing around with cameras and telescopes. So I pulled over to check it out and Bang the sun went out. Everybody in the field gave out the oooh and ahh like at fireworks displays and then started clapping. It was a very cool experience.

Later a singer wrote a song about going to nova scotia to watch a total eclipse of the sun and something about clouds in your coffee.

I enjoyed the few minutes of cool relief yesterday from the sun being blocked while I trimmed the weeds around my property fences. I did take a small break to grab the welding helmet out of the shop to catch a glimpse.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I watched it on my 72" flat screen from the comforts of my little island home. It was bright and sunny outside, then I saw through the bay window, a dusk fall from the sky. Within a minute the sun shines bright again. I'm content with the minimal exposure from the crowds.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Had 1:52 of totality in my back yard...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

I had 2:35 of totality where I was. Had a great time
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

I was boarding a plane when it was starting and I tried to look up as I walked across the tarmac to board. Too bright to see and the reverse lens thing on the phone may have worked but th glare was too much. Bottom line, Mexico did not get an eclipse as far as I could tell.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    I was boarding a plane when it was starting and I tried to look up as I walked across the tarmac to board. Too bright to see and the reverse lens thing on the phone may have worked but th glare was too much. Bottom line, Mexico did not get an eclipse as far as I could tell.
    2024 will be in you back yard...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Quote Originally Posted by HatetosayItoldyouso... View Post
    2024 will be in you back yard...
    It will be directly over me in 2024.

I got to work early to find my boss using a very light lens welding helmet to look at the eclipse. I took him out our front door and told him to save his eyes and get a picture of the crescent shaped shadows from the tree leaves.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best