Thread: New HF Radio Station Icom 7300!!!

Default New HF Radio Station Icom 7300!!!

Picked up an Icom 7300 recently and am pleased with the radio. Audio is great, nice compact unit.
    My dilemma is I have an Icom 756 Pro III with PS-125 power supply and Sp-3 Speaker, excess to my needs.
    If you are a HAM, or are looking for comms for a rainy day this would be a great set up.

I have debated holding on to the unit, but I have a total of three HF rigs (7300, 706MK IIG, and Yaesu 857D)
    Not sure what to do....PM me if you have suggestions.....
    Armageddon Catering....Providing All Of Your Post SHTF And TEOTWAWKI Needs.

Sweet. I've always had good results with Icon rigs.
    "I never should have made it, but I'm still alive" "Dead End Streets", RevCo

hadite81,

Congratulations on your new rig.

What are your other conditions..antenna/antennas..tuner....microphone and or keyer?? Curious about this.

I too have four HF rigs. A Icom 706 Mk II which I mostly use..two FT 890 Rigs and a FT 100 in my truck.

I have no plans to get another radio.....and would find myself in just your dilemma should I obtain another.

It is very very tempting when someone sells a good radio at a good price ..when they need the monies.

I verily enjoy my Icom 706 MK II for it's compactness and versatility as I use it on my base station.

Antenna here is about 500 feet of 12 gauge black insulated wire from Lowes...strung up in the tops of my trees as a Delta Loop...and fed through ladder line and a tuner. Mic is the Icom flexable non amplified microphone. Keyer is an olde manual key. VHF/UHF antenna is a home made J Pole...up in the trees..fed by LMR 400 coaxial cable.

The Ft 890 is next to my Icom as a back up and the other FT 890 is put away...along with my back up/emergency antennas...G5RVs and roll up J poles.

Congratulations once again on your new rig.

See you around the bands.

73 to you and your house..

Orangetom

Currently running a W8AMZ G5RV (102 ft long)10-80 meters up at about 33 ft.
    In process of installing a ZEROFIVE 43ft vertical with 32 radials. Problem here is EVERYTHING has to be jack hammered due
    to limestone at about 2 inches. Got the support pole in, almost done with ground rod trench(6 ft horizontal rod with 24" rods driven and attached to main 6 foot rod)
    Going to backfill the trench with Bentonite(sp) as recommended by local elmer.
    Rod rod will look something like this: -------,------,------,-----, I am unable to drive rod even with a 35lb jack hammer and rod driver attachment.
    Armageddon Catering....Providing All Of Your Post SHTF And TEOTWAWKI Needs.

Holy Cow!!!! Wow!!!!

Problem here is EVERYTHING has to be jack hammered due
    to limestone at about 2 inches.

I'd better stop complaining about the problems I tend to have at times with my rig and antennas. I'd never thought it through to the degree of difficulties you are having with just the environment.
    I see now I have it made compared to you out there.

Thanks for waking me up,

Orangetom

I have a similar set up, more HF radios than I need. Have a Excellent Kenwood TS950SDX with the matching speaker, Station Monitor, and MC60 Mic, a Icom 706Mk2, and a IC7100.

Thinking about down sizing

Yeah..I like my Icom 706 MK II for it's size and fits well on my desk wherein is also my laptop...and amp.

On the other hand, I have no plans to downsize....my radio shack. Clean it up a bit...but not downsize my radio/radios.

By the way.....I've heard of that post out there......being here right down the road from Fort Monroe...and I was on Fort Monroe over the weekend. I had no idea out there that it straddled the border line ...very interesting.

Orangetom