Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible EMP Alert from NK

Default Possible EMP Alert from NK

From this video clip, he explains the probability of an EMP from NK in the vicinity of the US at the right altitude.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/553975125...#sp=show-clips
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

I think from the very beginning of North Korea's nuclear program was geared towards an EMP attack.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

There are an awful lot of if's involved with the statements in the video.
    If they could launch and detonate an EMP producing blast at the correct altitude and if it was strong enough to actually do lasting harm to our electric grid then it would certainly be the best possible weapon and tactic they could employ against us. And obviously they would certainly know that. And any nuke at the right altitude will produce an EMP effect. But the strength of the blast determines just how powerful the EMP and how far-reaching those effects go.
    I don't think anyone thinks North Korea has the capability to do any size mega-ton blast over the USA. Most think that IF they do have nukes small enough to fit in a missile the yield would only be at the very worst maybe 10 kiloton. The USA is a long way from North Korea and to produce an EMP the missile would have to be 2 or 3 hundred miles in altitude at the time of detonation. It is very doubtful they could do any of that yet. Possibly they could to Hawaii, which would be devastating to Hawaii and be the end of North Korea.
    The North's dear leader is not all that stupid. He would not bring death to himself and his country unless he could make a very big hit on the USA. I think he will wait until he is ready with a solid proven ICBM platform and a miniature proven fusion device. Then he would strike and could do extreme lasting damage to the USA.

I don't know how crazy or stupid Kim is. He talks a big talk but he knows there a number of Ohio class subs somewhere nearby with 24 tubes of trident missiles that could possibly rain down 288 475kt warheads with fire and fury the world has never seen. I really hope he's not that stupid.

The topic comes up about the 3:40 mark-

Quoting the congressman:

"The head of missile defense... said clearly, in open committee, not classified... we have to assume they (NK)... have the ability to target the US with missiles that can reach from there to here."

"We now know that those can be nuclear armed"

"They don't have to be very accurate, if they are detonated at the right altitude, they can indeed inflict an EMP on the country, which could damage the grid... in a worst case scenario, could cascade and damage a significant portion of the grid... to the extent an untold number of Americans could die"

"It is very real."

"You don't have to be accurate, you don't even need a re-entry vehicle at all..."

"There is some speculation some of the NK weapons may be enhanced in the area of gamma ray emission which means their EMP capabilities would be even greater."

"We do know that NK has an advanced EMP effort and IEMI... this is not something that is foreign to them, they have developed that capability"

(IEMI, What is that?) "That's Intentional Electro Magnetic Interference. They have that more advanced capability. A nuclear burst is pretty simple, almost archaic... if you get a nuclear blast at the right altitude, you WILL create an EMP. The IEMI is an even more technologically advanced situation... they're well aware of what they're doing"

Not verbatim quote for brevity but accurately represents what was said. It jibes with the best previously known facts on EMP so it would appear the congressman is well-informed on this topic. It is probably fair to assume that nothing classified the congressman has been privy to contradicts the publicly released statements.

Recap:

The congressman says US missile defense believes a nuclear EMP attack from NK is plausible with their present capabilities, which include weaponry possibly optimized for EMP. In a worst case scenario countless Americans could die. This is real.

Also discussed was an effort to try to harden the grid... it was not mentioned that this effort is expected to take years to complete, nor was there any mention of how effective those counter-measures are likely to be.
    Last edited by bruss01; 08-13-2017 at 11:05 AM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Technical info on IEMI here:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...op1PaSLo5eGLFA

Potential Impacts of Electromagnetic Weapons on the Critical Infrastructures (2012)
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...-aqvWjYApaPvpg

Differences between EMP and IEMI:

EMP is pretty simple tp do, if you have a nuke missile, and can affect a large geographic area. The hard part is obtaining the fissionable naterial which can be done using tech that has existed since the 1940's.
    IEMI is technologically more involved but does not require nukes nor missiles, can be ground-transported... can be used to impact specific facilities and equipment. Range is limited.
    Last edited by bruss01; 08-13-2017 at 11:07 AM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Quote Originally Posted by sog711 View Post
    I don't know how crazy or stupid Kim is. He talks a big talk but he knows there a number of Ohio class subs somewhere nearby with 24 tubes of trident missiles that could possibly rain down 288 475kt warheads with fire and fury the world has never seen. I really hope he's not that stupid.
    KJU may not see the game the way we do. The object may not be to "win"... that seems like the obvious assumption to the western mind... the Asian mind works differently and this may explain part of our country's past problems in dealing with military situations in Asia. The first few ships sunk by kamikaze planes were probably really surprised, not understanding how the pilot expected to "win" and make it back to base with that move... simple, he didn't, but that was a foreign concept to the western strategists and required re-figguring a few things. The answers change significantly when self-preservation doesn't figure into the equation. MAD doesn't always act as a deterrent in those situations.
    Last edited by bruss01; 08-13-2017 at 11:21 AM.

IMO, EMP seems like the highest and best use of these small sized nuclear warheads that have been designed to fit in the NK missiles. I just hope he does this during the summer weather pattern, and maybe bypasses south Texas all together.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

This is a unique situation. NK and the US are still technically at war... at least on paper, as there was only a cease fire agreement in place. KJU may be trying to goad the US into violating some term of the agreement, allowing NK to respond in "self defnse". Maybe KJU thinks China will have his back if it plays out that way.

This is the first time in history there has existed a state of war between two nuclear nations.

After China and all 14 other countries voting for sanctions and saying he's on his own if he fired first I don't think he will do anything. He knows he will be wiped off the face of this rock

Like I've said before. He just wants street cred. I think he has it now
    Cry in training - laugh in battle