Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Solar Eclipse day craziness could resemble the zombie apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    I remember our class in elementary school, punched small holes in a paper plate to view the eclipse and it will cross over my home this year. I'll be doing my best to be home on that day.

Yeah..I remember this teaching too. Today I have lenses for a welding face shield...but am making no plans to observe this phenomenon.

I do have some concerns, as indicated by certain members here, about people going off the deep end and becoming panicked zombies/nut cases...et al. Or put another way...using/misusing this event as a day to go.."Shopping."

My .02,

Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 08-02-2017 at 07:10 AM.

Thats understandable and goes without saying but, they are expecting a diludge of people and in that situation these "visitors" are expected to deplete that states resources, obviously.
    I do hope this runs smoothly and people act civilized but i'm not gonna hold my breath. I do expect chaos and road rage. I don't have much faith in people anymore, for obvious reasons.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

I don't want to be any part of a mass migration to veiw a 3 minute event. I can imagine that all the loonies will be on hand expecting an extra terrestrial event to take place. This doesn't even mention the traffic jams/heated attitudes/road rage, and all the related problems like hotels/resturants/gas stations that will at capacity.

I have heard from several different internet forums, that many people will be traveling to the prime "total eclipse" areas with no real plans on thier stay, or provisions....sounds like a bad place to visit for me.
    Last edited by ckelly78z; 08-02-2017 at 10:24 AM.

I'll be out there with the masses in S. Idaho, sorta. The wife's a photographer. And due to orbital mechanics and rare timing this will be a particularly spectacular event.

As a prepper, this is both an important chance to test run and a good scenario to plan for. I'll be in the path, but I won't be stuck! I'll be testing my camping rig on the back roads.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

It's passing right over my house...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

I can see Mt Hood, Adams, St Helens and Rainer on a clear day

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    Thats understandable and goes without saying but, they are expecting a diludge of people and in that situation these "visitors" are expected to deplete that states resources, obviously.
    I do hope this runs smoothly and people act civilized but i'm not gonna hold my breath. I do expect chaos and road rage. I don't have much faith in people anymore, for obvious reasons.
    It won't be pretty. Oregon Office of Emergency Management expects over 1 million people to come from out of state. Oregon State Police are planning for up to 2 million. I am roughly 150 miles north of the zone of totality. I get between 98 and 99% of the eclipse. It's going to be a combination of a goat rope and a Charlie Fox. If the eclipse were 200 north, I would rent out 10x10' cold camping sites, banked the money and left town...just like the farmers and ranchers down south. Oh wait, I have animals to feed. Guess I will work that day and take a break sometime after 10:20 am.

If you plan to drive I-5 that day, fill your tank, bring water...lots and pack a lunch. It's going to get festive. JMTC and JMMV

Ez

The highways will end up looking like the evacuation routes out of major cities, with an empending Cat 5 hurricane bearing down on the coast.....sheer madness. How many of those people will be prepared for a long wait ?

I-5.....????

Is that the highway which follows the coast of Oregon and goes up into Washington State???

If so ..I've always wanted to take that road. It seems like a beautiful ride..very picture post card like....verses let us say Southern California.
    I try very hard to stay out of Southern California. From Sacramento to up north...well...ok..but Southern California...you can keep it.

It is one of my so called "Bucket List" things to do and places to go....that Coastal Highway.

I have been to many places and cities in this world..but have learned late in life that there are plenty of things to see and places to go right here in this country......"Plenty!!"
    Lots of history took place here in this country too...for history buffs like me.

"There's no place like Home....There's no place like home!!!"

Clicks heels three times.!!!

Thanks,
    My .02,

Orangetom

I-5 cuts right up the middle of CA and OR to Seattle. Pacific Coast Highway follows the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelith View Post
    I-5 cuts right up the middle of CA and OR to Seattle. Pacific Coast Highway follows the coast.

Ahhh...ok..I surmise I have it backwards then. The Pacific Coast Highway is of what I speak..not I-5.

Nonetheless....that Pacific Coast Highway seems like a very nice ride...very nice views of the coastline and ocean.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 08-03-2017 at 01:16 PM.