Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: saw something interesting at the Prepper Show today.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,667

    Default saw something interesting at the Prepper Show today.

    I've never seen them before.

    It is some kind of heat bag ...and it has a little metal disc in it. You snap or bend the metal disc and it begins to make heat. They say it is good for a lot of times getting it to begin heating again.


    I reckon I don't get out a much now days and have never heard of it.

    it is called Click Heat or such....no...I mean Click It Hot.

    Looks like something which might come in handy for heat out in the bush.

    Have any of you ever used or heard of such an device. Any drawbacks or problems with them....how about advantages????


    Thanks,
    Orangetom

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sweet Tennessee
    Posts
    1,944

    Default

    Sorry, have no experience. Other than that how was the showing? About like a gun show or more like a flea market?
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    I've never seen them before.

    It is some kind of heat bag ...and it has a little metal disc in it. You snap or bend the metal disc and it begins to make heat. They say it is good for a lot of times getting it to begin heating again.


    I reckon I don't get out a much now days and have never heard of it.

    it is called Click Heat or such....no...I mean Click It Hot.

    Looks like something which might come in handy for heat out in the bush.

    Have any of you ever used or heard of such an device. Any drawbacks or problems with them....how about advantages????


    Thanks,
    Orangetom
    We sold them in the surplus store where I used to work. They don't last very long, but you can rejuvenate them by putting them in a micro wave or hot water, IIRC, for a short time. Personally, I prefer the old Zippos hand warmer that uses lighter fluid. You familiar with them? They work great and last a lot longer...12 hours or so.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,667

    Default

    Sorry, have no experience. Other than that how was the showing? About like a gun show or more like a flea market?

    The show was ok to me. I did not buy any guns but only a book and an English long sword.

    They had mostly AR type rifles and Garands...etc. Not much interested in them. Lots of handguns too. Not interested in most of them as well..though I prefer wheel guns..but do like my 1911. I like my 1911 better than these newer Glock and S&W type autos with the long trigger pulls on them.

    There were some very nice sporting rifles for sale in some European type calibers...not standard American Calibers..double set triggers..very fine workmanship in them...but...Cha Ching!!!!!$$$$$$$

    But they were very fine examples of good craftsmanship for which I can appreciate but have little use for such. They were too beautiful for me. More like a Rolls Royce. I have little use for a Rolls Royce.


    The Prepper side was separate and had a smaller exhibition location. I did check out the Ham Radio club participating there. They had some wonderful set ups...working radios ...HF as well as VHF&UHF.


    The fellow was not there from whom I often buy my reloading gear...powder, bullets and primers. He is one of the main reasons I go.


    I did do something stupid while there and waiting for my friends to show up. When I saw them from across the room they did not notice me.

    I took out my mag light, turned it on and held it over my head to get their attention. That immediately brought some police to my side thinking I was causing a problem. But they saw me and came over.....and the potential situation was diffused. Glad, however, that the constabulary was on the job.
    There I was signaling my friends with an English broadsword in my hands. I will not be doing that again.



    Beowulf,

    Ahhhh,...ok..thanks for that information and update on them. I have one of those olde lighter fluid hand warmers in my garage. I've used them years ago...but tended to get lighter fluid on my skin and to my irritation. Those lighter fluid ones put out good heat but the skin irritation got to me.


    Thanks to all for their posts,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 07-15-2017 at 10:34 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    It is some kind of heat bag ...and it has a little metal disc in it.
    They are far from new and have been around for several years.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    They are far from new and have been around for several years.
    Yeah...seems I don't get out enough now days.


    Thanks,
    Orangetom

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    I've never seen them before.

    It is some kind of heat bag ...and it has a little metal disc in it. You snap or bend the metal disc and it begins to make heat. They say it is good for a lot of times getting it to begin heating again.


    I reckon I don't get out a much now days and have never heard of it.

    it is called Click Heat or such....no...I mean Click It Hot.

    Looks like something which might come in handy for heat out in the bush.

    Have any of you ever used or heard of such an device. Any drawbacks or problems with them....how about advantages????


    Thanks,
    Orangetom
    They are neat. They don't last long as someone else has said. The chemical in them is sodium acetate, it's what gives your salt and vinegar potato chips their flavor. It's also what is formed when you mix vinegar and baking soda.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sog711 View Post
    They are neat. They don't last long as someone else has said. The chemical in them is sodium acetate, it's what gives your salt and vinegar potato chips their flavor. It's also what is formed when you mix vinegar and baking soda.
    I never knew that Sog711...thanks for that information's.

    Orangetom

  9. #9

    Default

    The big ones last a pretty long time. Hubs picked me up three of them, 16"x20" at a convention a few years back. Hot water reactivates them. When they cool down, they solidify. The bigger ones like I have last about five to six hours.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South East US
    Posts
    1,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    We sold them in the surplus store where I used to work. They don't last very long, but you can rejuvenate them by putting them in a micro wave or hot water, IIRC, for a short time. Personally, I prefer the old Zippos hand warmer that uses lighter fluid. You familiar with them? They work great and last a lot longer...12 hours or so.
    Yea the click it heat don't last long but they can be placed in water to reheat. I have never used the zippo one. For me the ol' trusty is "hot hand" style. Long life and cheap.
    Vox Populi!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •