Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mattresses

My wife and I have slept on a Cali King sized, full motion, waterbed that we picked up used at a garage sale for 30 years now. I have had to replace the heater once, and the mattress twice, and obviously, several sets of sheets and pillows. I would venture a guess that we have far less than $1000 for 30 years of warm comfort....Oh, BTW, it's fully adjustable by how much water is in it.

It still looks new, and feels the same as the day we got it. I see so many of my friends, and family spending thousands evrey few years on the latest mattress sensation for no apparaent reason ??
    Last edited by ckelly78z; 07-13-2017 at 06:49 AM.

Have to find one with a warranty that specifies how deep the bed will cave over 10 years, then send it in when it does.

i dont know how any of y'all can sleep on any of these new fangled mattresses.
    They are a waste of money.
    I don't believe any of the statements they sprout about them.

Buying a waterbed or one of those adjustable ones that have separate controls for each side goes against the whole premise of shtf scenario.

Nicor, have you actually tested the difference between the various types of mattresses? Night and day.

And just because you need a backup, doesn't mean you can't use a more comfortable high-tech solution right now. If the power goes out then you use the one in the guest room.

Heck, I just sleep on a bed of nails tipped with curaré. Sleep like a baby! A tad disoriented upon waking up, but it passes!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicor View Post
    i dont know how any of y'all can sleep on any of these new fangled mattresses.
    They are a waste of money.
    I don't believe any of the statements they sprout about them.

Buying a waterbed or one of those adjustable ones that have separate controls for each side goes against the whole premise of shtf scenario.
    I have the ability to produce electricity and if I am bugging in (which I plan to do should things go south), I want my family to be as comfortable as possible. A good night's rest could be the tacticle advantage that I would have over others.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

We've had our chamber water bed for 23 years. I change the chlorine treated water every 5 years. Never once has it had scum or mold build up. Ours doesn't have adjustable controls or a heater. Not needed. Ours has a fully enclosed pillow top cover that wraps and attaches to the underside so our bodies never come in contact with the actual mattress and its puncture and stain proof and it doesn't shift when you move. It's the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on.
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 07-12-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    “I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”

By "fully adjustable", I meant that by adding a few gallons of water, the bed becomes stiffer, or quite the opposite if you remove water......no fancy controls. If SHTF, I can still sleep on it though at room temperature (we burn firewood so I don't see a freeze issue), rather than blissfully warm, like usual.

When we married we used my full motion waterbed that I had a tad overfilled and it worked like a champ even creating two mini me's in almost as many years. Then for some unknown reason we decided to go conventional bed, and it's been downhill from there.

Those sag guarantees are a scam also. My mattress on my side within about 2-3 minutes you can feel the "cavern" matching my body, but when I get out it is only slightly visible, not enough for warranty.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Exactly, and another thing, they never lose their shape or wear out. You don't have to flip them either, like conventional mattresses. The older you get, the more you appreciate that. LOL

ALSO, Once a year during Spring cleaning, I detatch the pillow top and wipe down the mattress. Before I put the pillow top back on, I lay a few strips of plastic wrap and lay fabric sheets on top of them. It's like having your own little aroma therapy while you sleep and everyone knows fabric sheets are great as an insect repellant.

We put fabric sheets everywhere. Under the sofa and chair cushions, in the closet, our drawers, at the base of curtains etc.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    “I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”