Thread: white gas vs kerosene

Default white gas vs kerosene

what is the difference between white gas and kerosene? I am working on my heat, cooking and light preps. I want to know if I can use white gas in kerosene equipment and vise visa.

No white gas will blow up in appliances intended for kerosene

There is a huge difference.

Gasoline (including "white gas") has a high naptha and benzine content. It is highly volatile in the sense that it evaporates quickly and vapors are subject to explosion in the right concentration.

Kerosene is less volatile, evaporates more slowly and is akin to diesel fuel and heating oil.

They are not interchangeable unless the appliance states that it will accept either. (some camping stoves are like this, but not all)

White gas used in kerosene appliances may explode or burn unusually vigorously (possibly out of control). Kerosene used in white gas appliances may burn slowly if at all and smoke a lot.

Of the two, kerosene is safer and less prone to degradation over time than gas, when storing long term.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

I switched to propane for everything. My generator, stoves, heaters, lights etc. it stores forever in its tanks....
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Quote Originally Posted by texasskeeter View Post
    I switched to propane for everything. My generator, stoves, heaters, lights etc. it stores forever in its tanks....
    Right now most of my gear is propane, I want to diversify.

White gas does burn with less odor than kerosene.

Diversify? Well heck where do you live? I'll sell you cheep all the white gas and kerosene lamps and heaters I have.
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Quote Originally Posted by texasskeeter View Post
    Diversify? Well heck where do you live? I'll sell you cheep all the white gas and kerosene lamps and heaters I have.
    South KS