Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How prepared, really?

Default How prepared, really?

I'm down in southern Mexico for some play time and a wedding on saturday. My son went down yesterday to the revenge. I got close, but came out OK. Still 5 days to go. It amazes me how much we have become wimps in American society . Even as a kid, Grampa showed me how to brush the water bugs and moss out of the way to drink from a cattle trough. Never got sick. Thenhe passed on, I got older, and now rarely go far without a water can or at least some bottled water.

So how miserable would it be to train your body to become bulletproof in the drinking water department. Sure, I have life straws and filters in my packs, but wouldn't it be better to just not need them, except in extreme situations? Down here I've always just had a shot of Tequila after the meal to sanitize, and never been sick.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Moctezuma will have to find another pathway for his revenge, I guess.....

Not getting sick from drinking from a cattle trough might have been dumb luck. At our nation's founding, beer and spirits were very common -- mainly because drinking water was so .... risky. However, even drinking water led many to follow it with a stiff drink, theoretically the alcohol content would kill ... whatever it was in the water (they did not understand germs back then).
    There are situations in a SHTF situation where we will likely be forced to choose the lesser danger. Do we expire from dehydration ....or risk drinking that water --brushing off the water bugs first, of course.
    It's a cr@pshoot.
    Plenty of people died of poisonings prior to modern times and modern medical knowledge. We weren't 10 foot tall supermen back then, either.

Research out life expectancies in history. We are now living longer than ever.

I'm not saying you're wrong .... just saying it will be interesting times ahead if we do have a real SHTF. Brushing the bugs off will be the least of the worries.

When I was a kid I didn't think twice about drinking from a cattle tank. I grew up in an unsanitized invironment so my immune system is very strong, but even so, in today's tech and pharma invironment, I know the human body wasn't meant to engest certain organism. I still don't live in a sanitized invironment but I'm smart enough to know my body is still fragile as far as the human body goes.

If our world become so contaminated that drinking stagnant water is our only source of hydration, the human race will be doomed because our bodies can not tolerate so much bad bacteria. We weren't meant to.

Even if you tried to condition your body by introducing it to small amounts of poison, eventually your body will reach a saturation point and begin to reject the poison and you will die. Everything has its limits and our bodies are no exception.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

I grew up in the dirt too. Not getting sick from unsanitized water sources is entirely luck and region. Montezuma is only one example. I know plenty that have enjoyed fresh mountain spring water straight from a creek at 8,000 feet. I also know a few who have messed themselves for days after doing so. If we were in times of famine, those unlucky few would probably be dead. Just not something you can really train your body for, especially as bacteria and viruses continue to evolve in a world of antibiotics.

Start 'em young...

I grew up in the sticks in east Texas. I lost count how many times I drank from the creek next to our house, ate bloody steaks, and ate wild game that wasn't cooked right. While I don't have a Super Man stomach, it does take a lot to make me sick. My wife and I got sick a couple of weeks ago from something we ate. She was in the bathroom for 2 days while my stomach was just a little upset. My wife will not do well if things go south. Hopefully I'll be ok so I can look after her.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    I grew up in the sticks in east Texas. I lost count how many times I drank from the creek next to our house, ate bloody steaks, and ate wild game that wasn't cooked right. While I don't have a Super Man stomach, it does take a lot to make me sick. My wife and I got sick a couple of weeks ago from something we ate. She was in the bathroom for 2 days while my stomach was just a little upset. My wife will not do well if things go south. Hopefully I'll be ok so I can look after her.
    Same for me in East Tx.
    I do believe that the way children were allowed to play and get dirty in the 50/60s has a lot to do with it.
    Now if one speck of dirt gets on my great nice, its into bathtub.
    I used to take one of great nieces fishing with me, just to make sure she got dirty.
    We did have a blast/fun on those trips. Don't think she gets too sick now days.
    Hell, i wish she was still a kid.

I do enjoy fried/bar-b-quid rabbit.
    I didn't think much about rabbit fever. I knew I would have a bad time with it, but the comforting thought was that once you have had it, you will not get it again.

The dirtier my boy was the more fun he was having.
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

My kid stays dirty no matter how much he bathes... lately (during the school year) we've had recurring strep infections. He missed 3 days in a 3-1/2 week period, and 1 of the infections was accompanied by a nasty rash. My guess is, they don't clean the school very well, or parents are sending their kids to school sick, I don't get sick much, my wife does sometimes, but usually it's sinus related or a cold from working in an acre of cubicles at work.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

1971 my high school buddy and I drank from a creek to conserve our water for backpacking.
    two days later we both had amoebic disentary, fortunately after returning home after the weekend of camping.
    For a week I could only eat small amounts of ice, temp spiked at 106 and they gave me ice baths.
    SHTF situation I would likely have died probably also if that had been a week long backpacking instead of just an overnight.