Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gonna be getting a new(to me) vehicle

Default Gonna be getting a new(to me) vehicle

So my wife's car that we bought brand new last year is looking like it might be a lemon. It has had issue after issue and she is becoming more and more comfortable with the idea of trading it in. At the same time, she wants me to get something a little newer and more reliable than my 12 year old cheap cash car.

It is looking like we are going to get a truck for my wife. A Ram crew cab that has LOTS of little places to hide stuff in and PLENTY of room for our GHBs as well.

So what kind of vehicle for me?

I was thinking a new(er) minivan. Total urban camo, LOTS of them around so they blend in, LOTS of room in case a bug out is needed, and LOTS of hidden storage (Grand Caravan stow and go seats). I thought about a Jeep Grand Cherokee (older one) for the simple reason that it would be nice to have a vehicle that can go off road. Reliability is a concern(I've owned a Grand Cherokee before), but they made a BUNCH of them so parts are easy to find and the 4.0 straight 6 seems to be pretty reliable.

Do y'all have any suggestions? It has to have 4 doors, decent leg room so I can put a car seat in the back seat, and preferably cargo room and hidden storage so I can carry Sarge(Keltec SU-16) and no one would know.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Prob with minivans seems to me, is the clearance. It might be a tall order to even run down Antifa folks blocking the hi way. i'm not big on Chevy trucks, personal preference and history, but those Suburbans and Tahoes seem to be about bulletproof, and also urban camo, every soccer mom has one. Just don't get caught in the carpool line.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    Prob with minivans seems to me, is the clearance. It might be a tall order to even run down Antifa folks blocking the hi way. i'm not big on Chevy trucks, personal preference and history, but those Suburbans and Tahoes seem to be about bulletproof, and also urban camo, every soccer mom has one. Just don't get caught in the carpool line.
    Yeah, that was a concern of mine too. A little over 5" of ground clearance is not good.

However, from my time working as a bus mechanic I learned that there is a company that makes lift kits for them. They move the entire suspension and engine 2" down, thus giving you 2" more ground clearance while keeping stock driveline angles. This in turn also opens up a little more room for slightly larger tires.

In an ideal world I would love a Tahoe or Yukon, but with what I think the budget is going to be, I would have to get a 15 to 20 year old one and that puts me in worse shape than I am in now as far as reliability.

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

Jeep... def the jeep.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

If I were you, I would definately go for the bulletproof (not literally) Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 inline 6. Absolutely a workhorse with lots of room, 4WD, good ground clearence, better off road suspension, large aftermarket parts availability. My son had two of these and loved them (still has one).

In a SHTF scenario, a loaded minivan will be a bouncy lead sled when on anything but nicely paved roads (where all the looting zombies will be).

The thing about jeep is that they're either $500 or $5000 not much in between. That being said, I would take one barely running and rusted out over the mini van. There's nothing wrong with a 10 or 15 yr old vehicle, all vehicles will break down, and they all need maintenance, plus you get a great ride at a fraction of the price.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Well, we are almost done on the truck for my wife. It took a few months but I got her talked into a half ton Ram with the boxes on the bed and the Hemi. Now we just have to decide if 2wd or 4wd makes the most financial sense. If the budget allows it, it will have 4wd.

I was talking to my wife this afternoon about deciding between a Jeep (she has always wanted one) or a mini van. I think if we got a 2wd truck it would be a LOT easier convincing her that a 4wd Jeep is what we need!

Mercedes Sprinter 3500 4X4 Diesel high roof 170 wheel base cargo van.

http://www.mercedes-benz-vans.ca/en/...-4x4/cargo-van

Get it in Fleet white and stick some power company logos on it, the ultimate in urban invisibility.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

Quote Originally Posted by jdh View Post
    Mercedes Sprinter 3500 4X4 Diesel high roof 170 wheel base cargo van.

http://www.mercedes-benz-vans.ca/en/...-4x4/cargo-van

Get it in Fleet white and stick some power company logos on it, the ultimate in urban invisibility.
    As funny as this is, my wife and I saw one of these a couple of days ago and she jokingly said hey, why don't we get one of those.

Back in the day I had a 95 Grand Cherokee Limited with the 5.2l V8. It would get up and move but had cooling issues and the previous owner had severely neglected it. My ex ended up forcing me to sell it for $500 after the 4th time it broke down. The funny thing is that I was able to fix it every time it broke down, and I even told the guys that bought it for $500 what the problem was (bad ignition coil).

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    Well, we are almost done on the truck for my wife. It took a few months but I got her talked into a half ton Ram with the boxes on the bed and the Hemi. Now we just have to decide if 2wd or 4wd makes the most financial sense. If the budget allows it, it will have 4wd.

I was talking to my wife this afternoon about deciding between a Jeep (she has always wanted one) or a mini van. I think if we got a 2wd truck it would be a LOT easier convincing her that a 4wd Jeep is what we need!
    The thing about buying a truck, is that if you pay for 4WD, or for diesel, or both up front, you will get that money back out of it when you sell. I have a 99 F250 diesel 4WD Lariat truck that (according to N.A.D.A book) is still worth over $6000 with 235K miles, and rust.