Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back at it again

Yeah, this one had already gone through the auction they have every September, back in 2015, so I could bid anything I wanted to. I'll be watching for it again this year. Right now I think they have the results of the last auction, but eventually that document will become the next auction list. Never get your heart set on a property, they can be redeemed right up to the day of the auction. http://www.kcgov.us/departments/trea...rtytaxsale.asp

When my daughter was in culinary school in St. Helena, Ca she stumbled on a lucrative deal where Goat herds are rented out to property to clear off brush naturally. I guess you go in and fence and then unload your hotwire trained herd. Better than free grazing because you get paid. She wanted in on it, but no way I was doing anything Ag in Kommiefornia.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I think I'm going to end up being a buck hoarder, so I'll probably do something like "bucks for hire" and rent out my guys to make babies. You have to be careful on the disease testing of the ladies you send them too, but I bet they would pay for themselves each year. One of my friends neighbors already wants buck service off one of my bucklings!

And now I have six...if my budget permits, I have a list that totals 20+. I think goats are addicting :O

Nothing like bringing in two senior does to teach you that your current fence setup that was just fine for the littles isn't good enough for them. The herd Queen, Holly, decided to take the whole crew around to visit the neighbors! The problem was that the welded wire fence could withstand the leanings of the little bucklings, but not the full grown does. They were only getting out at the fenced in pen in the garage/barn, so I just closed them out into the field, and replaced the pen fencing with two 8 foot cattle panels covered with garden welded wire to make the holes too small to get through. Seems like a good enough fence now. That is the style of fence I'm planning using on my own property. Speaking of which, I finally got out to it on Monday. I took some branch trimmers and crawled down in to try and clip a walking path from the north end to the creek. I was out there for a couple of hours, sans kids, so I got to get a good look at everything I've got. Found a nice big rotting log. I think I might make own of those Hugelkulturs with it. It is ready to go!

Last edited by Renee; 07-17-2017 at 01:50 PM.

So without everyone having to go to Google (maybe just me....) what's hugekultur?
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I googled it, and yes, that would make a good natural, raised bed garden (Hugelkulter), but it would be unmoveable from it's current spot.

Quote Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
    I googled it, and yes, that would make a good natural, raised bed garden (Hugelkulter), but it would be unmoveable from it's current spot.
    As in, I will have to make the bed where it currently is or that once made it can't be moved? I was hoping to straighten and flatten the logs out in a line to run parallel with the property line. I was thinking strawberries, huckleberries, raspberries and blackberries, considering the clime.

Attachment 1356
    Attachment 1357
    Attachment 1358
    Attachment 1359

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    So without everyone having to go to Google (maybe just me....) what's hugekultur?
    It is a permaculture method of either burying or piling wood into raised beds with other compostable materials that is covered in dirt and becomes a self-feeding bed with the wood rotting and composting over time to continuously feed the plants.

https://richsoil.com/hugelkultur/