Thread: Prepping fails

Default Prepping fails

So I spent and hour today cleaning up my latest prepping fail. I suck at rotating food out. So back when I first starting getting into prepping I was buying #10 cans of food. I have since stopped buying them because I realized I wouldn't be able to use them in a reasonable time frame, so I would need to refrigerate them. Not wanting to do that I just started buying smaller cans of what ever I felt I needed. Problem solved, or so I thought. To bad they got pushed to back of the closet. Welp I went to pull out my house tool bag I keep at the bottom of the closet, and when I slid it out this black streak of goopy crud comes with it. CRAP!!!! Turns out two of the fruit cocktail busted with out me knowing. So I start cleaning and found that several of the other cans had started to bulge. So I only had about 8 cans of stuff. Threw them all out. cleaned up the goop. We have been going away from can good anyways and starting buying freeze dried stuff, so I won't have that problem again.

All that to say. What are some your guys biggest prepper mistakes? and How did you solve them?
    Vox Populi!

I guess my biggest fail is buying long term storage food that I'm not used to eating, and thus it never gets touched and expires. A close second is buying cheap Chinese made crap to try to save a buck only to have it fail prematurely. Then I have to spend more money to buy the right thing thus nagating any cost savings.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

Quote Originally Posted by porkingporkpork View Post
    So I spent and hour today cleaning up my latest prepping fail. I suck at rotating food out. So back when I first starting getting into prepping I was buying #10 cans of food. I have since stopped buying them because I realized I wouldn't be able to use them in a reasonable time frame, so I would need to refrigerate them. Not wanting to do that I just started buying smaller cans of what ever I felt I needed. Problem solved, or so I thought. To bad they got pushed to back of the closet. Welp I went to pull out my house tool bag I keep at the bottom of the closet, and when I slid it out this black streak of goopy crud comes with it. CRAP!!!! Turns out two of the fruit cocktail busted with out me knowing. So I start cleaning and found that several of the other cans had started to bulge. So I only had about 8 cans of stuff. Threw them all out. cleaned up the goop. We have been going away from can good anyways and starting buying freeze dried stuff, so I won't have that problem again.

All that to say. What are some your guys biggest prepper mistakes? and How did you solve them?
    I don't have them anymore but I built in the past, and will again the can holders where you load from the top and they self feed... takes more space. But when you eat what you stock. It's the best way (for me )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

Rotation is the key to successful food storage.

My dumbest, and I say dumb because I keep tight records on what I have with dates and locations.
    I got busy and forgot to log in a full crate of potatoes, carrots and onions. They were placed properly, just not logged in. I was in the store yesterday and noticed a black blob oozing out fron under one of the metal shelves. I had to pull everything off of the shelves to find the source. It was the potatoes, carrots and onions. They had literally liquified in the crates. Luckily they were nestled in shavings and that absorbs the stinch and most of the liquid. Regardless, I checked and cleaned/ disinfected everything in their vicinity but I lost a lot of tubers. It pays to log everything at the time and not rely on memory to log it later.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Ps, I never buy canned goods. I don't trust the content. Never have.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

I second the do not buy Chinese crap!! Anything with electronics fails when you really need it!
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Quote Originally Posted by texasskeeter View Post
    I second the do not buy Chinese crap!! Anything with electronics fails when you really need it!
    I pray for the same thing to happen with their missiles and new huge battle ships....

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    Ps, I never buy canned goods. I don't trust the content. Never have.
    Yeah but when you cant grow and then can your own its what you can do... One day I hope I will be able to do that again but for now im stuck doing this.
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

One of my prepping fails is when I drain 1500 gallons of water from the 18' Walmart pool every fall to prevent freezing, I think if I had a better steel (larger) upground pool, I could keep that valuable supply of water on hand all year long if needed.