Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Experiment- Orange Bourbon

sounds good. i like the orange vodka...
    but im more of a bourbon guy myself.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    I've owned a couple of bars, I don't drink anymore. Not against it, just no desire anymore. Except shine, I'll take a snip if in good company.
    Good shine makes for a smooth drink, but I've gotta know who made it and how.

Reminds me (vaugely) of a "Hairy Buffalo" toga party my friends and I once had. We had everyone bring a bottle of whatever, added some punch, and juice, and procedded to forget ourselves. The floating orange slices, and watermelon chunks is what held most of the alcohol content....so just eating the fruit would get you stupidly drunk in short order.

I think the night/morning ended with most of us in the pond naked, and not caring.

Omg... (hic)

That was some good shizzle...

Couldn't wait the 2 weeks. It had a really nice flavor. The orange pieces had a lot of alcohol but not much flavor.

Will try this again for sure.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

LOL
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

i broke out some cabo wabo the other day...man thats good tequila. lime and salt and 10 shots later i realised how bad the new resident evil movie sucked.

Am now thinking of getting a flat of pint jars... $7 something at the local supermarket. Those would make great gifts around the holidays.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Tried a second experiment. Let it sit a little longer (full week). Not sure if it was the oranges or the longer time, but didn't enjoy this batch as much.

Both times, the primary goal (preserving the oranges) did technically work ( they didn't spoil ) but I really did not care for the taste.

This time I thought I would try something different... I trimmed the peel off each orange slice and put the fruit into a batch of orange jello, thinking it would add enough flavor to make them palatable.

Well, I like jello and I like oranges... but I did not care for this mix. Just not right somehow. I remember in grade school the cafeteria used to sometimes serve lime jello with shredded carrots to get the kids to eat carrots. That was the most horrid thing ever, though I like carrots and jello separately. This wasn't far off from that childhood experience.

Sorry but I'm calling this one a bust. The bourbon comes out ok but the oranges soak up a lot of it, which is then lost because the oranges aren't really enjoyable to eat on their own. The earlier poster had it right when they called "waste of good bourbon". Ah well, it was an experiement and if you wanna experiment you have to tolerate occasional failures as the price of learning something.

Finally, I can just drink all that bourbon. Thanks for the update
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

BamBam, your watermelon mixture reminds me of what we called jungle juice when I was in school. And yes it always made clothes fall off. Walking went downhill badly too.

I have tried some good brandy over a quart jar about half full or sweet cherries. The cherries were edible and fairly potent. The Brandy however wasn't very good. I'll give it this however, I had a bad strep throat and drank a small glass a couple times a day warmed about 20 seconds in the microwave. The aroma was excellent and vapors would give a brief relief, and the drink was good for helping with the cough. I'll keep a jar in the fridge for medicinal use
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13