Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Big E...she is a sad sight.

Default The Big E...she is a sad sight.

The USS Enterprise has been moved from the dry dock ...wherein she has been worked upon for a couple of years ...and down south to a pier side birth.

But even before she came into dry dock she was a sad sight ..stripped down of non essential equipment. Her purpose for being in this dry dock for a couple of years was to remove the fuel rods from all 8 reactors. This has been completed and finalized and now she is removed south side. She is a sad sight from her former glory days.

Many photos are available both on and off the web to see how she looked.

At some point I expect that she will be towed to some location and cut apart...as have been so many other carriers. This , of course, depends on the monies becoming available...and plans finalized.

Wondering too if she will be deep sixed as have so many other ships to become a reef ??? This one will have to go deep....deep down to Davy Jones locker.

Nonetheless....it is to me a sad end for such a grand olde ship. The end of an era. She is truly a one of a kind. The prototype of what we have today in our other carriers.

Orangetom

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Wonder what James Tiberius Kirk would have to say about this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Winni View Post
    Wonder what James Tiberius Kirk would have to say about this ?

LOL LOL LOL.....

Not being a big fan of that genre...I did not know that was his screen middle name. Thanks for filling me in Winni.

Orangetom

Would be nice to make her a monument like the Battle Ship Texas.
    Lot of history going to waste with the Enterprise if they skuddle her.
    So much history gets lost and left to rewrite over time without tangible proof.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    LOL LOL LOL.....

Not being a big fan of that genre...I did not know that was his screen middle name. Thanks for filling me in Winni.

Orangetom

Tiberius was not cannon. Nowhere in the original series was Kirk's middle name given, only the initial "T." IIRC a novelization of the series used Tiberius as his middle name & it stuck. It always bothered me as Tiberius was a particularly cruel, vicious Roman Emporer who had people he disliked tossed off a nasty cliff .... and it was really really easy to get him to dislike you.
    In fact in an early episode of the series an enemy taunts Kirk with a mock tombstone and his middle initial IIRC there was "A." Apparently outside "James Kirk" no one back then actually gave much thought to what Kirk's middle name really was.

Thanks TommyGun,

I was aware of none of that information...not being a big fan of the series.

I was, however, surprised to recognize that in an olde Twilight Zone episode...William Shatner portrayed an airline passenger alarmed by being the only one to see a Gremlin out on the wings and trying to remove the panels from the engine...and thus being held/confined as a crazy person.

This episode has had some remakes over the years as it seems to be sort of a classic and I thought William Shatner did a good acting job in this Twilight Zone episode. I believe this was before he became famous for his role as Captain Kirk.

Camouflaged,

Would be nice to make her a monument like the Battle Ship Texas.
    Lot of history going to waste with the Enterprise if they skuddle her.
    So much history gets lost and left to rewrite over time without tangible proof.

This would take huge amounts of monies....just in paint alone.

There is another problem...and one for which is seldom mentioned to the general public....they have kept this under wraps for many many years now.

This ship was a prototype...the first of the nuclear aircraft carriers to be built. What they learned from this carrier was to be put into the later Nimitz class carriers now at sea.

They overdesigned her in places and under designed her in others. Remember ..she has 8 reactors instead of todays two reactors...and all the complex piping and control systems to tie together 8 such reactors and also to cross connect the same.

What has been learned in nuclear system design since ...has been incorporated in the newer carrier, surface ship, and submarine reactors today.

This means and or translates that the Enterprise is a leaky reactor system...being first generation design. There are places on her which are contaminated ...Heavily....which are not contaminated in the newer better design boats.

Better steels and better welding...better design pumps...etc etc are the norm today ...but not on this ship.

This is not known by most people and not told to the general public. When she come in for repairs there are radiation ropes/barriers posted all over the place for which you do not see on the Nimitz class ships due to leaks going way back in the ships history. You have to be a trained qualified radiation/contamination worker to go and work behind these barriers/ropes. The levels are that significant.

This alone is why she will never become a floating museum.

Sorry to have to break it to you in these facts.

But nonetheless she is a sad sight to see today...as compared to her former glory days. She is heavily stripped down. What can be salvaged for spare parts has been salvaged.
    She is mostly sitting at a pier awaiting decisions and monies to be allotted for her disposal.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

That Twilight Zone show is called Terror at 20 thousand feet! We have every show Rod Sterling ever wrote or narrated. Ever Twilight zone too! That one was one of my favorites!
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

I saw that Gremlim episode too! Lol
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    That Twilight Zone show is called Terror at 20 thousand feet! We have every show Rod Sterling ever wrote or narrated. Ever Twilight zone too! That one was one of my favorites!

Wow Camouflaged!! Every Twilight Zone episode!!!

That was one of my favorite too. I did not recall the title and thanks for rounding that out for me.

Now, though it has been a long time since I have last seen it, as I recall...it used light and shadow as was Alfred Hitchcock want to do in his movies like Rear Window, Vertigo...etc. This was the extent of special effects in those days...light and shadow to emphasize the sweat and tension on ones brow...none of this CGI/computer generated imagery stuff as is so popular today...just light, shadow, and camera angle.

Lack of CGI would also separate the good actors/actresses from the mediocre ones...directors too.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Still remember watching ST4: The Voyage Home in theaters.

Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), Come and get them!

Nobody owes you anything. You're only entitled to what you worked for.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." - Optimus Prime