Thread: UFO-The Series

Default UFO-The Series

Sorry, not especially survival oriented unless you consider "alien invasion" to be on your list of possible survival scenarios (tip 'o the hat to 10 Cloverfield Lane). I watched this series growing up as a kid but missed a lot and they wsren't in order as re-runs.

It turns out Hulu has the entire series. It has a weird retro-future thing going on. Shot in the late 60's it envisions the year 1980 with the trends of ths time projected forward 10 years, where an international effort is mase to curb advancing extratsrrestrial incursions is under way... all while keeping ghe public in blissful ignorance. It's actually well wrtten and the picture quality is terrific. I enjoy the endless variations on the basic tbeme music and the miniatures are a hoot... pretty good work in its day.

Just passing it along for anyone intsrested.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

I have the DVD set.
    Yes, this was Gerry Anderson's FIRST TV series using actual human actors, not 1/3 scale puppets as in "Thunderbirds" and "Fireball XL-5."
    There were a few clunker episodes, but all in all a good series, with a surprisingly mature treatment of responsibilty in areas which must remain classified. "The Responsibility Seat" and "The Four-Sided Triangle" are two episodes that come to mind about this; there are more and a few are really poignant.
    Pretty good special effects, and a nice music score. The ladies' purple wigs were a miss but nobody's perfect......

Straker drove the UGLIEST car ever devised. Must be "company issued" because I saw others drive it- then thought, no, maybe the studio had company cars? Lots of cool gizmos, some of which were prescient like car phones. The stuff they got wrong about the future world was kinda funny too, like brits changing to right-hand drive... was actually a movement at the time... just never materialized. The whole-office elevator was a trip.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

One of the DVDS had Gerry Anderson do a commentary. That future supercar was a P.O.S. The doors had to be manually operated which meant a close up for driver exits. It konked out all the time. It went from 0~60mph in about 25 minutes.

The special effects guy later did some of the James Bond movies.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Quote Originally Posted by Winni View Post
    Painted by the actor who played the role:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Looks like me when I get out of work !

LOL!