Thread: Faraday cage/shed

Default Faraday cage/shed

So now that I am in final stages of residing my house, the next project I am turning my attention to is rebuilding a shed in my back yard. It is old an has gotten a hole in the roof over the past couple of years. While I was residing my house I ran some cable to be able to tie in my generator to the panel. I plan on getting building a small solar bank in the rebuilt shed with a couple of small solar panels that I would be able to run limited power thru the generator transfer switch. In all this planning I was wondering how feasible it would be to build the Shed into a faraday cage while I am rebuilding it? The shed isn't to big only 10'x8'.

My thinking is I am going to rip everything off the exterior including the roof. Mainly I would like to know what material do I need to put up to act as shielding? I would like it look like normal shed on the exterior as well. Thoughts?
    Vox Populi!

Go for it. If you're using metal for the roof and sides just attach a cable to a ground field around the building.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I forgot that it is raised up about four inches off the ground. So will I have to place something along the floor as well. Throwing a ground strap on it is a good idea.
    Vox Populi!

http://www.whenshtf.com/threads/5604...hlight=Walk-in

I'm still thinking about doing the walkin cooler housed inside a normal yard shed.

Joe - NY

thanks. I did a search but didn't find anything to help off the top. I will read thru and see what I can find.
    Vox Populi!

So I have started to think thru EMPs and faradays cages. I have a huge deficit in my knowledge in this area, but this video help me understand the basics of shielding. Still have alot to think about when it comes to design, or if I am even going to do it. This guy has a few videos on subject that are worth giving a look. He has the equipment to do testing on different methods of shielding. Hope this helps someone else.

Vox Populi!