Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chuck Grassley expects Supreme Court resignation 'this summer

Default Chuck Grassley expects Supreme Court resignation 'this summer

'Chuck Grassley expects Supreme Court resignation 'this summer'

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...is-summer.html

Mere days after Justice Neil Gorsuch was seated on the Supreme Court, restoring the panel to full strength, a top Senate Republican said the court could soon be down a member once again – in turn giving President Trump another big appointment.

“I would expect a resignation this summer,” Sen. Chuck Grassley, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, told Iowa’s Muscatine Journal.

Grassley, R-Iowa, said there was a "rumored" retirement in the offing, though he wouldn't disclose which justice was considering stepping down.

Grassley’s comments echo those made in February by fellow Judiciary Committee member and former Supreme Court litigator Sen. Ted Cruz.

“I think we’ll have another Supreme Court vacancy this summer,” said Cruz, R-Texas. “If that happens, as much as the left is crazy now, they will go full Armageddon meltdown.”

ON DIVIDED BENCH, JUSTICE KENNEDY HOLDS COURT

Grassley predicted any new Supreme Court nominee would come from the list of potential justices put forward by Trump before he won the election. Gorsuch also came from that list and, despite bipartisan testimonials in favor of his confirmation, Senate Democrats led a fierce resistance to his seating, ultimately forcing Republicans to change Senate precedent by enacting the so-called “nuclear option.”

Because of that, a Supreme Court nominee would only need 51 votes to be approved to the high court. Republicans currently have 52 seats in the Senate, all but ensuring any GOP-favored nominee would sail through. Gorsuch heard his first arguments as a justice on Monday.

While Justice Kennedy, 80, is oft rumored to be considering retirement, there are several justices whose advanced age could signal a coming retirement. Ruth Bader Ginsburg is 84 and Stephen Breyer is 78. If any in that trio were to retire and be replaced by a reliably conservative justice, the court would noticeably lurch rightward. Ginsburg and Breyer are largely considered to be among the court’s more liberal jurists, while Kennedy is known as a “swing vote.”
    Remember what Einstein said:
    “I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”

Kennedy is a swing Idiot!!
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Yea, you just have to laugh at the last sentence. Kennedy a swing vote, my azz.

I don't see any liberal voluntarily stepping down knowing that either a conservative, or god forbid a Constitutionalist be appointed.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Breyer. It's gonna be Breyer.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGunn View Post
    Breyer. It's gonna be Breyer.
    yeah, either him or The Notorious RBG
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I've heard rumors about Kennedy. RBG is not doing so well these days. In Kennedy's case I would expect it to be voluntary. In RBG's case I don't expect her to retire until she is literally unable to show up for work... UNLESS she was pressured into it. Maybe by the other Justices... telling her to retire while she can still go out gracefully instead of embarrassing herself and besmirching her "image". Or maybe there are people behind the scenes who have unseen influence on what the Supremes do. Honestly that wouldn't surprise me one bit. If their arguments are not persuasive enough, I wouldn't doubt that they might resort to threats. Speaking of threats...

I'll always believe that Scalia's vacant seat was not entirely due to natural causes if you get my drift... it's just too convenient that he expires in the final days of Obama's presidency. Not saying it was necessarily Obama, but that somebody somewhere in the machinery wanted him to get to make one last pick, and were able to make that happen. Could have even been international... heck who knows. It's occurred to me that it is possible he got a blood clot on his long air flight (had just been overseas) a few days before and that the activity on the ranch broke it loose and he died in his sleep from the embolism... but when I meditate on that, it doesn't feel "right".

I'm still very troubled about simple majority votes on SC nominees. I'd like to see Supreme Court justices have approval from both sides of the aisle. The SC should not be a partisan body... it should decide according to principle, according to sound jurisprudence. Wait until the Blue side has control of the senate and the White House. You're going to start seeing an increasingly polarized Supreme Court, gyrating back and forth between two political poles in ever widening arcs, and end up reversing itself every time the majority on the bench trades hands. It's going to result in chaos for the Judicial branch and that affects all branches of the law.
    Last edited by bruss01; 04-20-2017 at 06:22 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

bruss i agree with all you have said.

unfortunately our country is hopelessly polarized - congress is just a reflection of that.

I would like to see Supremes be bi partisan but that ship sailed long ago, I would say Robert Bork time.

IMHO the only solution (which will never happen) is to stop gerrymandering and force congressional districts to be as close to a circle as possible. And go back to Senators being appointed by the state legislators.

Best case scenario is Kennedy, Ginsberg, and Breyer all go and we have a 7-2 court for 20 or so years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdale View Post
    yeah, either him or The Notorious RBG
    You mean Darth Vader Ginsburg?
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

I would love for the Supreme Court nominees to get approval from both sides of the aisle, but we can all thank the Democrats from forcing the GOP's hands with the Gorsuch confirmation. I truly hope a liberal justice retires this summer, just so I can get the popcorn out and watch the howls from the left.
    Attached Images Attached Images