Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Tail of the Dragon and then onto Port Orford. if its still there..

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    486

    Default Tail of the Dragon and then onto Port Orford. if its still there..

    Just a short note.
    June 9, headed up to the Tail of the Dragon, then onto Port Orford by way back country roads.
    Normal travel time on the TAT from Telico Plains, Tn to Port Orford, Or is 28 days. (28 days? well the back country roads an't paved, some are cattle trails, some are lost in the desert types)
    The route takes me through TN -> MS -> AR -> OK -> NM -> -> CO -> UT -> ID -> OR
    Something under 5,000 miles. Not including getting to the start and then getting back from the end....

    Oh, have to ride over Ophir Pass in CO, I just so dislike that pass...

    If SHTF while on my way, I just hope I am somewhere in the backcountry that I can just hole up at (if can't get back home).

    Don't know if y'all would want to read about the trip here or not.

    So far its a go.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,856

    Default

    Sounds like a great trip. Keep us posted . I hope I get to do that someday , backroads only. I think it was Charles Kuralt who said that thanks to the interstate highway system, it is now possible to drive coast to coast without seeing a thing.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Lake LBJ, Texas
    Posts
    6,644

    Default

    I'm guessing you are on a scooter of some sort. Should be a good journal.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.


    I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    2,508

    Default

    That would be an exhausting trip, but incredibly awesome at the same time.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Sounds like a great trip. Keep us posted . I hope I get to do that someday , backroads only. I think it was Charles Kuralt who said that thanks to the interstate highway system, it is now possible to drive coast to coast without seeing a thing.
    That is so true. So many drivers and riders, don't even think to stop and smell the roses.

    Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    I'm guessing you are on a scooter of some sort. Should be a good journal.
    Scooter, a scooter ?? I an't gonna tell my DR you called it a scooter.
    A scooter is those little bitty things millennials ride around town on.

    My DR is a street legal dirt bike.

    Attachment 1251

    Drop the trailer and that's what I am riding.
    The trailer is only for carrying my fishing equip.

    Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    That would be an exhausting trip, but incredibly awesome at the same time.
    Oh, it will be exhausting, with all the cold, sleet, hail, rain, heat...
    I have been pretty much frozen, snowed on in June (NV), sleeted, hailed and almost drowned in July (NM),

    But is not all of that what makes it an adventure ?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,042

    Default

    Ive done the tail in some of my old autox cars on race slicks...sooooo much fun. A few buddys have bumpers in trees along there. Have fun and be careful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    2,274

    Default

    You are starting the trip not terribly far from me. We were just down in Tellico plains Sunday taking a little road trip. Sounds like a great time you are about to have. Enjoy and give us an update as you can.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    Ive done the tail in some of my old autox cars on race slicks...sooooo much fun. A few buddys have bumpers in trees along there. Have fun and be careful.
    its your fault I'm posting it here... You and ur drifting thread
    Thought to myself, why not....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sweet Tennessee
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    I've rode the Dragon several times on the ninja I had then on my Harley.......everything bottoms out on the Harley so it isn't as fun.. the guys on the enduros are stinking crazy. So I'm assuming you're crazy too. Safe travels and try to keep the rubber side down.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    I've rode the Dragon several times on the ninja I had then on my Harley.......everything bottoms out on the Harley so it isn't as fun.. the guys on the enduros are stinking crazy. So I'm assuming you're crazy too. Safe travels and try to keep the rubber side down.
    I am really not too crazy... hummm, well maybe just a tad.

    Thank you for the 'Safe travels', have a feeling I will need it.

    For those of you that don't know what the Trans America Trail is :



    That is not my video.

    Do have lots of videos from NMBDR (new mexico backcountry discovery route) and Nevada ride I went on.
    Took them off of youtube some months ago.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •