Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This 100-year-old explosion dwarfs the 'mother of all bombs'

Default This 100-year-old explosion dwarfs the 'mother of all bombs'

I don't ever remember reading about this one at any time.

This 100-year-old explosion completely dwarfs the 'mother of all bombs' blast

http://www.businessinsider.com/moab-...es-to-europe-1

Here in Texas, the news (once in awhile) mentions the Texas City explosion.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/lyt01

I post this because I think it needs to be mentioned for remembrance of those.

On another part of remembering, last week I was 'chatting' with a democrat voter, don't remember the subject.
    But it lead to part of USA history. Seems she was forgetting past history and I asked her if she remembers the quote "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.".
    Of course she did not and to her it didn't matter.

Yea, that blast was supposed to have been felt quite a ways off.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

Wow!!!

I was not aware that the Canadians had such an disaster. Good Grief!!!

I am aware of the Texas City disaster of 1947 having read about it in a book on Natural and Man Made Disasters. It was an eye opener.
    Nonetheless..I was not aware of the Canadian disaster. Thanks for bringing me up to date on this history Nicor.

Orangetom

The largest nuke ever detonated was done so by the Russians. The blast was so strong that it was recorded by seismographs as having circled the world 4 times!
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    Wow!!!

I am aware of the Texas City disaster of 1947 having read about it in a book on Natural and Man Made Disasters. It was an eye opener.
    Nonetheless..I was not aware of the Canadian disaster. Thanks for bringing me up to date on this history Nicor.

Orangetom
    The Texas City Disaster was in our Texas History books.
    Don't remember grade level.

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    The largest nuke ever detonated was done so by the Russians. The blast was so strong that it was recorded by seismographs as having circled the world 4 times!
    I remember reading about that. Been a long time ago though.
    Might have been in a geology/science class in school.

Lot of things are not taught, nor mentioned about now in school.
    That really goes back to that last paragraph in the 1st post.

It is going to happen.

There was an explosion of that type..ammuinition carrier in San Francisco Bay during the war...also in Naples, Italy..again an ammunition carrier...on or off loading ammo.

Now Nitrate fertilizer of that amount....that is huge. Nitrate being one of the ingredients in modern explosives.

As to the largest Nuclear weapon detonation...this stuff was used to frighten and impress people today who do not know what is going on ..then and again today how things have changed.

Large nuclear devices are no longer necessary with the accuracy of the delivery systems and their navigation abilities today. They used large warheads in the olde days to make up for the lack of accuracy in missile navigation. In the olde days you could be off over a couple of thousand miles traveled by some five or more miles. You made up the difference by warhead size.

Today the accuracy of many devices is no longer what building in a town do you want to hit...but what window in that building, in that town to you want to hit. It has gotten that good. Hence you no longer need big warheads.

Also ...fissionable material of that level of enrichment is very expensive verses commercial nuclear reactor plant fuel at some 20 percent enrichment. For these devices you need some 85 to 95 percent enrichment for an effective device. Hence significant expense/costs in such enrichment processes. Accuracy in delivery has significantly changed this business and how it is strategized today. Smaller and more tactical nuclear devices....accurately delivered are in vogue today. The big ones are only for "Special Delivery."

Theses multiple independent re entry vehicles....MIRVs ...many of them can adjust the yield up to certain parameters...the bang can be tailored to the job. It used to be called "Dial A Yield."

Nonetheless..the really big ones are not much needed as were they in the past.

See....

The Secret That Exploded By Howard Moorland.

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-That-E...l-amzn-only-20

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 04-14-2017 at 12:48 PM.

I dunno.....I can see some situations where a very large but very accurate nuke would be a good thing.

But then, I am evil.

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    Wow!!!

Orangetom
    The scars are still visible in Halifax, and the locals still speak of it as if it happened recently
    Good medicine in bad places

The West, TX fertilizer plant explosion was probably similar in size or larger.

http://youtu.be/jzDC3iKbTzY
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    The West, TX fertilizer plant explosion was probably similar in size or larger.

http://youtu.be/jzDC3iKbTzY
    I was 90 miles away from it when it blew and was outside talking to my wife on the phone. It sounded like thunder, but the pressure was different andbit didn't carry on like thunder did. Reports say it could only be heard 60 miles away but those reports are not true. I even commented to my wife that it sounded different and not like typical thunder.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best