Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good News, been a long time coming!

Default Good News, been a long time coming!

So, I don't know if anyone remembers, but last year I struggled with signing up for SNAP. I didn't like doing it, but it was truly necessary. After I had my daughter in July, I started to realize that my almost 3 year old wasn't hitting his target milestones in speech so we got him tested for delayed speech. Long story short, he is now in therapy and special ed preschool to get him caught up before kindergarten. That has made getting a second car necessary and then there is all the extra gas to get to all of his appointments. That $200 from SNAP has really saved us these last few months.

But the last couple of months the S really hit the fan for use when we got hit with the heating bills ($272, $210 and $150). I had to keep my son home from therapy a few times because I didn't have the gas to get him there. I know, I should have signed up for the electric bill averaging, lesson learned! Needless to say, this has been stressful for both my husband and me. But it was a good thing, because it was the final straw that broke his back and made him go ask for a raise. He hasn't gotten a raise since Jan 2013 and we have added both kids since then.

Hubby finally got in to see a lower boss(not the big boss) when he wasn't on his phone and told him the situation. He has the look on his boss' face was a mix of horror and embarrassment. The result was a 25% raise! HALLELUJAH! Now, that means we should get an extra $220 every two weeks, but it should increase the income enough to drop us from SNAP, but that is still an extra $240 a month-ish, which will help alot. Now if our tax return would just show up, we could pay off the CCs and start in the black on the budget we have planned but couldn't follow because we have been so behind.

Prepping-wise, I have a written list of several basic prepping items I want to get that makes bugging in easier, if we can't bug out to my parents' place. Things are starting to look up, just in time for the big SHTF, right?

Congrats on the Hubby's raise! Wish you the best.
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Glad things are better

Wow, congrats on the raise and for surviving a pretty bleak winter. Glad to hear it's turning around for you.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Yeah, we got hit pretty hard this winter comparatively. Glad you made it through and things are looking up.

I've been wondering what happened to you. You haven't been around for some times. Congrats on the raise for hubs!
    How are the goats doing? You still have them?
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

I had to give up the goats at this time last year. Too much work being preggers and all. It wasn't a great loss in the long run, since they weren't purebred or registerable, which is what I'm looking to get into this year. I figure I passed Goats 101, time to move onto Chickens 101 and Goats 102 I'm waiting for the tax return to purchase a tax property to start over, no renting, which lead me to rush my setup last time.

I've been busier with preschool and therapy and still not sleeping great yet. The little one just finished cutting 4 teeth, but she is finally in her own room! YAY! Here's some kiddo pics:

Attachment 1221Attachment 1222

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Congrats Renee. Financial hardship can be tough on a marriage, glad to hear things are looking better for you and yours now. 25% is nothing to scoff at that's for sure!
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

OMG! Those babies are too darn cute! <3
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    OMG! Those babies are too darn cute! <3
    Yeah, we are both brunettes(though I was a blond kid), so two blondies were a bit of a surprise. My dad is a redhead and sisters are blond, so not a complete surprise.