Thread: Re-seeded my pastures

Default Re-seeded my pastures

It was fairly nice yesterday so I spread 150 lbs of tall fescue over my pastures. I had already disced and dragged the pastures a couple off weeks ago to knock down all the fertilizer my horses left for me. By discing with a 10 ft piece of railroad track dragging behind I accomplished a few things at once. The disc cuts narrow slits in the ground for the seed to fall into, cuts the turds, and separates the thick root and sod system; the heavy track then drags, smoothes, spreads, and compacts the thatch and manure leaving a nice bed for the new seeds and good looking smooth pasture.

Tall fescue can be toxic to horses, cattle, and sheep but I've had good results with it and there is plenty of clover and other forage. I will also sow some alfalfa and a couple varieties of clover once the temperatures warm up a bit. The toxicity comes from a fungus that gives the grass it's hardiness against disease, pests, and climate. The fungus isn't as bad in cooler climates like mine but is with high temps and humidity.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I need to disc mine too.. Only I need to spread some coastal sprigs, not fescue. I plant fescue in the yard. I broadcast rye in the fall.
    Nice job with the rr tie!
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

I've considered rye and winter wheat both for the fall, neither are very expensive compared to the fescue and hay. I had to move my horses to another another farm we have for the winter there's around 40 acres of decent pasture and a nice creek. The only problem is we don't visit them much when they're there. Horses are rough on a pasture unless it's very large compared to the herd.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.