Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Californian uses hillside to install two shipping containers

Default Californian uses hillside to install two shipping containers

Nice guy, says his motivation was temp control, not wanting to "get away from anybody"...but I'm thinking otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0oFJ2jbkDI
    Last edited by All-American Gi; 03-16-2017 at 06:27 PM. Reason: got the title wrong

I think a shipping container home is fine, it's instant shelter, but not much else. Finishing would be just as expensive as any other construction.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Yes, it looks like it because they have everything that a regular place would have as far as HVAC systems, interior finishes, etc. I live on the East Coast and we have a major shipping port here so you see these containers everywhere. Not that one could be buried here since we're only 10 feet above sea level. But from a conservation standpoint it's neat to see things being utilized rather than just let sit and rust someplace.

I don't understand why these boxes are so popular. Don't know how much they cost, but I'm sure they aren't free, and transportation costs have to be high, then excavation costs, modifications, etc. etc.
    If you want to live underground, why not dig a big frickin hole with a lot more room, line it with cement-filled used tires, make a roof of steel or cement, seems to me it would be a lot cheaper.

one of my favorite shipping container homes

Last edited by Tdale; 03-16-2017 at 09:29 PM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I don't understand why these boxes are so popular. Don't know how much they cost, but I'm sure they aren't free, and transportation costs have to be high, then excavation costs, modifications, etc. etc.
    If you want to live underground, why not dig a big frickin hole with a lot more room, line it with cement-filled used tires, make a roof of steel or cement, seems to me it would be a lot cheaper.
    For a regular used 40' wind/water tight Shipping container you can get them for $2500 delivered
    or about about $3K used wind/water tight 40' high cube delivered (IMHO high cube make better cabins due to the extra foot of ceiling height 9' vs 8')

Or you can buy a one trip (basically new) 40' High cube for around $5K

if you design the cabin right you have a much more secure cabin than if built like a traditional cabin, like this one that can be locked when away

Last edited by Tdale; 03-17-2017 at 10:07 AM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Y'all give me your layout, I'll give you a quote. I'll ship you a move in ready container home/shelter.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Used about $3K for a 40' high cube delivered

Or you can buy a one trip (basically new) 40' High cube for around $5K
    Prices can vary quite a bit in different parts of the country.
    They are somewhat popular down here when used for secure sheds.

Yea, down here I'm seeing about $2200 delivered to the ranch. Then again Laredo is a huge land port for imports so many containers available.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

Houston is another good area to buy them from