Thread: Food storage

Default Food storage

The containers I've been using to store a lot of my Dry food are no longer for sale. They were great because they were 16 cup Storage containers, square base, and fairly cheap. I've got about half to 2/3rds of the containers I need, but now I've got to find something else, preferably something simular to what I've been using.

Any thoughts and suggestions?
    The Normalcy Bias, do you suffer from it to?

A make/model/pic of your current container would be helpful to be able to make recommendations.
    I was lucky enough to pick up 90 cases of empty #10 cans/lids before the local LDS store stopped carrying them.
    would hate to have to pay commercial prices for these, as it is almost triple the cost...
    Armageddon Catering....Providing All Of Your Post SHTF And TEOTWAWKI Needs.

I get empty frosting buckets from one of the local Walmart bakery departments, but not all Walmarts will sell them.
    Within an hour drive of us there are maybe 6 Walmarts and only one sells them, the rest trash or recycle, who knows?
    Cost is $1 each and they are food grade (of course) with lids.
    Four sizes at my Walmart.

5 gallon round ones, and 1 gallon round ones which are pretty flimsey.

A square one that is 4 gallons and pretty sturdy which is the one I prefer.
    Then a 3 gallon one that is more flimsy.

Typically we only store food in the 4 gallon square one because they take up less space than the round ones.
    We get about 25 lbs of food in them packed into 6 individually sealed mylar bags.

DQ franchises use the same frosting if it's square buckets you crave. Pool Chlorine comes in big plastic bucket with threaded lid that is air tight. Ace Restaurant supply has lots of plastic stuff to either get ideas from or prices are decent. Every eatery that shuts it's doors has lots of containers with lids.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Did you check Uline? A bit pricey, but it's who I get my buckets from.

Joe - NY

I've been using Mainstays 16 cup containers. They don't seem to be made in that size anymore. Smaller ones are, but not that size.

As best I can tell, only Walmart sells that brand. I checked eBay and Amazon, to no success
    The Normalcy Bias, do you suffer from it to?

Yep, Mainstays is a Chinese import product especially for Walmart.
    Armageddon Catering....Providing All Of Your Post SHTF And TEOTWAWKI Needs.