Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommend a 12v - 110v Inverter

145V at 650 watts wtf?

Good stuff Bruss, was wondering if this was a typo.

Not a typo. I monitor the outlets in my travel trailer with a Kill-A-Watt device that plugs in. It's always been right aroung 120-125v. I had it with me on a recent outing where I was plugged into shore power so I could make sure I was getting proper voltage from the park's system.

Just recently I wanted to check a particular outlet because I was having issues with an appliance that plugged into it. I could have grabbed a lamp or something but the Kill-A-Watt was right at hand so I grabbed that instead. Imagine my surprise when I read 145 volts! I would not have noticed that with a simple lamp or power indicator. This 650 watt inverter has always been a reliable device up until now. Now the question is "why". Obviously there's an issue with the voltage regulation part of the inverter, allowing it to go too high. I'll have to open it up and see if I can locate any obvious issue, such as a fried resistor, bulged capacitor, or the like. If so, that's work I can perform and possibly salvage the inverter. If not, oh well, e-waste time I guess.

It pays to keep tabs on such things. If I hadn't caught this I could have been halfway through another off-grid excursion and ended up frying my tv, computer or who knows what else. The sensitive electronics aboard The Ritz are plugged into an APC voltage regulator (Line-R 1200) which is capable of correcting voltage that is a little high or low, but anything beyond 10-15 volts outside normal and it only reduces the voltage by 10%... in this case it was down to 131-133 or so... still too high, but not bad enough that I have had to replace anything. Yet. So this was a good excuse to upgrade the power supply a bit while I'm going to the trouble of replacing the inverter anyway.

I use several voltage regulator products at home for my entertainment system, computers, and radio gear. It helps keep the power level from fluxuating too wildly and is supposed to "kick-out" if voltage goes too high. Only had it actually kick out once, a local sub-station had a stuck transformer during a hot spell. Protected a lot of my gear from serious over-voltage. Power was well over 140v then.

https://www.amazon.com/APC-LE1200-Au...A60/ref=sr_1_1

Last edited by bruss01; 03-23-2017 at 02:43 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

The inverter is installed... will have a write-up with photos in the Travel Trailer Electrical Upgrade thread probably tonight/tomorrow.

But I can report happily that it will run the microwave. Here is the little "600w" nuclear oven:

http://bestwasherdryer.blogspot.com/...owave-600.html

(Stock photo, mine is this exact model)

I could not get a reading on startup power but while it was running on full it was using 800 watts. They say a microwave can take up to 4x its rated operating wattage as surge wattage while starting... if so that would be 600 x 4 = 2400 which is within the inverters 3000w surge capacity. Hopefully not much else is running when one tries to start the cute lil' bugger. Interestingly, for testing I was powering the mw via an extension cord to one of the trailer's wall outlets, which means it was drawing current through the 10 amp circuit breaker feeding tbe outlets. So maybe that won't be an issue that needs tending.

Anyway, I ran it for 2 minutes without any observed issues (except a good dent in the battery level) and the inverter cooling fan never even came on, which I know works because it does a test spin-up on start when you turn it on. So I definitely feel this is plenty of inverter for the job.
    Last edited by bruss01; Yesterday at 09:55 AM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Glad it's working well for ya Bruss, and thanks for the writeup. All this talk about skimping by with only 3kw tho, we're going into our 11th year of running the whole house off a 4kw inverter.

"Honey! Don't flush the toilet while you're cooking dinner, you know we can't run the microwave and the water pump at the same time!!!" lol
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

Awesome!! I would be very tempted to open the inverter case and solder some wires coming off of the fan. The other end of the wires would be an LED light placed somewhere that is visible. This way, every time the fan runs, you get a visual cue that the fan has power and is running. This way, you will get a visual indication if you are pushing the inverter.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Stop it Cav, now you're putting ideas in my head! LOL and tempting me to take a match to the $40 I spent on the extended warranty. Maybe I'll be a little more adventurous once that's run out...
    Last edited by bruss01; Yesterday at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
    Stop it Cav, now you're putting ideas in my head! LOL and tempting me to take a match to the $40 I spent on the extended warranty. Maybe I'll be a little more adventurous once that's run out...
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best