Thread: Shipping container homestead

Default Shipping container homestead

I found this just browsing, takes a while to watch but it is just fabulous, how they have done this. Shows how they sited, built, and how power and water systems work, and their gardening. Excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRN0uClnJBw

I like the idea of a container house for the structural rigidity, and relative low cost of getting started. I think if I were going to build one, I would get two of them, and separate them by about 10-15' and build a porch in between them for privacy, a warm spot on a sunny Winter day, and some place to put my hot tub. I would also have solar panels on one of them, and a upper deck on the other.

I'm still going to bury one one day.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

another Aussie building with shipping containers

https://www.youtube.com/user/bushblockhomestead/videos
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    I'm still going to bury one one day.
    Just go with Rising S instead. Much better option for a buried steal box.

Joe - NY

I hope to be starting a project like this the coming year. I did!'t like the way he did his drop ceiling, seems it would sag after awhile. I recently saw a container home at a home show, the guy used spray in foam in the ceiling. A diy kit can be bought online for about $500.