Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: guess I'm old school

Quote Originally Posted by Ready 4 reset View Post
    I agree they aren't born that way. The parents allow them to turn into that or guide them to that path. Problem with kids these days is they don't get an a$$ whoppin when needed! They get a time out.
    Amen to that Ready !! Got my ass beat more times than I care to remember. Didn't turn into an axe murderer or a snowflake. Kids need a boot up the ass now and then. Builds character .

Al I can't disagree with that. People having kids don't parent them get involved much. My wife and I worked full time and limited the time the kids were allowed to watch tv or be on the internet.

Unplanned does happen often. Babies having babies.
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by Alredneck View Post
    ^ a bunch have adults in their lives that dont know how to be parents.

These people have had a tv or internet to guide them thru life, while the adults worked.

How many come from unplanned decisions.
    It's been a really strange day, think something is wrong here....................................I totally agree with you Al. Parents let TV and social media raise their kids instead of kicking their ass.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Amen to that Ready !! Got my ass beat more times than I care to remember. Didn't turn into an axe murderer or a snowflake. Kids need a boot up the ass now and then. Builds character .
    If my kids talked back to me they picked themselves off the floor afterwards.

Same here. I lost count how many times I got the belt or just an old fashion butt kickin. Can't imagine the person I would be if I did not have that kind of discipline.

Is Al using Jedi mind control?? I have seen a bunch of posts that people have agreed with him

In all seriousness it's always interesting to get your take on things Al

Is Al using Jedi mind control?? I have seen a bunch of posts that people have agreed with him

I think Al reminds us all of the crazy professor who liked the most off the wall kid in the class and the rest of us wanted to throw a brick at.
    Having said that , I do agree with some of what Al says which makes me wonder if there aren't in fact 2 parallel universes , a yen and yang so to speak.

About raising kids ...living in an altered state...an altered universe so to speak.

Years ago..I dated a woman with four children. As I worked graveyard shift I would sometimes come to see her and the children in the morning when I got off work at 7am.

I quickly noticed that the children would get up in the morning and go pour some milk and cereal and then go sit in front of the television....then get their school clothes when done eating and sit in front of the television some more.

What became obvious was that the television was the centerpiece..the control factor of what happened or did not happen in that house. The television ruled the roost.

I talked to the woman I was seeing and told her that she had a real problem. First she let the children determine the path of the household..and with it ..the TV as a baby sitter...substitute parent.

She , to my surprise , understood. The children should be making their beds when they get up...getting ready for school....etc etc...before anything else. Making sure the laundry is picked up and placed in the proper baskets...etc etc...before getting breakfast..

The TV should not be running the show.

It was the same in the evenings when they were home..the TV ran the house.

She did not know what to do about controlling the television.

I told her that I did know what to do....if she would let me.

I went to Radio Shack in those days and bought a key switch. I wired it into the 110 volt power line and mounted it to the particle board on the back of the television set.

If the key was switched off you could push all the buttons you wanted...the tv would not get any power.

The result was stunning. It was as if someone had removed from the kids a "Drug" and they could not withstand the rejection from said drug. They went ballistic for a short time. They did not know what to do without television. They had never lived without this drug habit.

I told Mom ...why do these kid not know how to do laundry..why are you doing it all the time...these kids were teenagers. Why are you doing dishes after fixing dinner and the kids are watching television??? The kids should be doing dishes and laundry and you should be watching television while directing them.

What is worse I told her is that she was not preparing these kids for adulthood...she was preparing them for tonight's television program.

Now I did not debate with her that she did not love her children..but that she lost sight of the fact that we prepare children for the day in which we are no longer there to pick them up when they fall or wipe their runny noses for them. That teaching them to stand on their own feet in preparation for adulthood...was in fact love....even if at the time it seems difficult to them. Thankfully she understood what I was saying.

I knew enough from my parents to bring something when I visited..usually some food..as it costs a lot to feed children...I did not like to come empty handed in this area.

And this too should be taught to children when they are olde enough to grasp it.

But again..children should not run the roost as was happening with this woman.

The TV as well should not run the roost.

And today so too should not this computer run the roost.

I told her ..that she should never buy these kids their own televisions...as they will separate from the family and she would seldom see them. Again the TV would run the roost.

Your job as a parent is to raise them in preparation for adulthood..not just make them comfortable/convenient and call that parenting...is what I explained to her.

She had gotten so much backwards as a parent ...I suspect due to a bad divorce...that she let the kids and the television run the show and not her.

It is easy in this world to get seduced into a false template of operation if one is not perceptive about certain things.

By teaching your children certain basics knowledge's and understandings when they are young ...which will serve them well when they are adults and on their own... is in fact Love.

When her and the children moved out of state..they did not take the television. Last I saw of it ....it was out on the curb and was quickly picked up with the key taped to it.

I know not how they fared after that ..but the kids did learn to funnel their attention into other arenas..one of the girls into reading...I salute her for that .

My .02,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 03-22-2017 at 01:44 AM.

Good stuff, there orange.

Asked the lady's permission to make an effective change.

Mindful of the situation an aware of the environment.

A lot of folks seem overwhelmed by just a few small things and their only outlet is either, tv/entertainment, drugs/alcohol, or sex. Not that all of these are bad in a positive moment but easily
    used to control further negative activity.

Wait till we take over the world. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Alredneck View Post
    Wait till we take over the world. Lol
    Lol