Thread: Built two J pole antennas today...

Default Built two J pole antennas today...

Was doing some yard work and intended to adjust my 500 feet of wire loop up in the trees...but instead wound up building two J pole roll up antennas from that 300 Ohm FM/TV flat wire or what is sometimes called twin lead.

The first I built as I had always done just a simple 2 meter J pole and it turned out fine.

The Second I built according to some newer plans to be a dual band...2 meter/440 J pole out of the same 300 Ohm twin lead antenna wire.

Both antennas are fed with Super 8 coaxial cable.

Here is the photo of the first 2 meter only J pole when it was completed...

For those readers not familiar with this kind of antenna..the actual antenna is the brown flat line with a brown wire loop to hang it up on the top end.

What you can also see in the rolled up bundle of gray coaxial cable is that the metal connector on the end is made to go on an antenna with a BNC connector. The adapter for the Baofeng type connector is on the table down in the wound up bundle. This adapter adapts from a BNC connector to the Baofeng type antenna connector. With this set up or adapter I can do both types of radios...and also a standard PL 259 type connector too.

And here is a photo of the same type of J pole twin lead antenna inserted into a PVC pipe to protect it when hanging up out in the elements.

These antennas are simple to make and inexpensive too. There are better antennas out there for 2 meters and 70 CM but the costs start going up rapidly for them.
    On a budget learning to make your own is a good thing to know.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 03-11-2017 at 04:24 PM.

When u going to try it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicor View Post
    When u going to try it?
    Ahh.....ok.

I neglected to post it..but I have already tried it from an elevation of about 8 feet up in a small tree in my yard. I was able to hit several repeaters around here. No problem.

I am certain with more elevation I will be able to hit more of the local repeaters.

I have about 25 feet of coaxial cable on each of these newly constructed antennas. I intend them for mostly emergency portable use.

I have other aluminum Rod dual band J poles for normal base station use around here..

Thanks for reminding me.

Orangetom

I have both the roll up types and a model in PVC. Work great for what they are. My PVC unit has it's connector attached water tight in the PVC cap. Never a bad idea to have spares on hand. Might even make a good barter item.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    I have both the roll up types and a model in PVC. Work great for what they are. My PVC unit has it's connector attached water tight in the PVC cap. Never a bad idea to have spares on hand. Might even make a good barter item.
    You know backpacker,
    I'd not even thought it through that far as to it's being a barter item.

I have accumulated sufficient 3/8 diameter solid aluminum rod and some aluminum angle bar. I have enough to make some more aluminum J poles and also enough ladder line and also 300 ohm flat line for making more roll ups.

To my surprise I always thought many hams know how to make their own..but with a lot of the newer generation...they in fact do not. Hence having such skills could indeed make them valuable as a barter item.

I intend to make another of the roll up dual band type later on.

Hmmmmm....you know backpacker..now you got me to thinking...about barter...and skills.

I say this because of the number of people I've met over the years who cannot sharpen a knife. Once they know you can do it they come a running.

I hate a dull kitchen knife. I like a sharp knife when cutting my steak or slicing my "maters" for a sammich!!

Many cannot sharpen an axe. or a chisel....remake a proper flat tip screwdriver edge etc etc. Or even sharpen a drill bit by hand....scissors..et al.

How about a chain saw blade/chain??

Thinking in terms of the olde timers...I just thought most people knew how to do these things as a natural course of daily life.....but it seems today that is not so.

Stuff breaks or wears out they just go and get another one.

Hmmm..you got me to thinking here now Backpacker!!!

Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 03-11-2017 at 09:11 PM.

Well OT now you got me. I can't sharpen stuff worth a crap. I've tried freehand, grinders ,sharpening kits such as lanskys,. My step dad has a nice Tomek grinder and I still don't get a great edge. He OTOH can get a good edge quick with most anything.
    It's a skill I am still working on.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

I sharpen all of my own tools and lawnmower blades except drill bits I've never had one good enough to sharpen, it seems they're all junk. A really good file can make a difference. I bought some straight razors from over seas, shaved and learned to keep them sharp. There's definitely a technique to it, I'll stick to my disposables for now.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    I sharpen all of my own tools and lawnmower blades except drill bits I've never had one good enough to sharpen, it seems they're all junk. A really good file can make a difference. I bought some straight razors from over seas, shaved and learned to keep them sharp. There's definitely a technique to it, I'll stick to my disposables for now.

Yeah..I do pretty much the same Flock6. Sharpening Drill bits is something I picked up from the olde timers in this shipyard. We would sometimes work weekends and the main tool rooms were closed..so too the satellites. If we did not know how to sharpen our drill bits we would be SOL. So it was the olde timers who were to get me acquainted with this skill. Same for lock picking. The olde timers taught me this too...even how to fabricate my own lock picks and levers. Shimming a lock I learned from U tube. Scissors I learned on my own.

Agree on the quality of the drill bits now days. You are going to pay some serious monies for good drill bits but all drill bits eventually get dull and need sharpening.

About straight razors...yes..I have a few. The olde ones seem to have some good steel in them. I have had little success in shaving with them...but they do make a very very clean cut when you make a mistake...!!! Yes...definitely a technique to it.

What the olde guys told me was to "NEVER" shave with one standing butt naked in front of the sink...if you slip and drop it you may be finished!!!

I too will stick to my disposables.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Noted about shaving SAFETY!

Funny story about learning to shave with those razors........after getting better at shaving and keeping the blade sharp I became a little less cautious and more comfortable, until one day while sculpting on my mustache the blade touched my eyelash. It was instant fear! I just knew I had slashed into my eye lol....... I slowed down and paid much more attention after that.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Wow!!!

Orangetom