Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Got my garden up and running!

I woke up to 6" of new snow on top of the 18" still on the ground. Ill be starting some seeds indoors pretty soon. Other then a few starts in the green house and some lettuce and radishes I won't be doing any real gardening until May.

Eek!

We had 80* and a nice breeze with big white puffy cloud intermittent with sunshine. A perfect day!
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

It's supposed to reach 75 degrees here today and in the 70s tomorrow, then for the week end....below freezing and snow in the forecast. I don't usually plant my garden here until after the middle of April.

yeah..here too..very warm. Going to bring a light jacket nonetheless...always good to be prepared.

Hey Beowulf.

For some reason I got on Google Earth today and looked up Great Falls, Montana.

What I did not realize was that the river which skirts by Great Falls is the mighty Mo.

Followed it as best I could down to Kansas City where it merges into the Big Miss. It has been awhile since I paid much attention to rivers across this nation...but that is one long flowing river from all the way out there to KC.

Reckon I need to bring my geography awareness back up to date.

It is a big country Beowulf...and while there are interesting things to see and experience around the world...this country is plenty big enough for me to spend the rest of my days seeing it alone. No place like home olde timer...no place like home.

Hey....while I am at it..for you gardeners and such.. do any of you have a recommended bug spray for spiders? They seem to be tougher than regular insects. I surmise their internal systems, being of the arachnid family, is built differently from six legged insects. Those six legged sprays and such do not seem to work well or rapidly on spiders.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    yeah..here too..very warm. Going to bring a light jacket nonetheless...always good to be prepared.

Hey Beowulf.

What I did not realize was that the river which skirts by Great Falls is the mighty Mo.

Followed it as best I could down to Kansas City where it merges into the Big Miss. It has been awhile since I paid much attention to rivers across this nation...but that is one long flowing river from all the way out there to KC.

It is a big country Beowulf...and while there are interesting things to see and experience around the world...this country is plenty big enough for me to spend the rest of my days seeing it alone. No place like home olde timer...no place like home.

Hey....while I am at it..for you gardeners and such.. do any of you have a recommended bug spray for spiders? They seem to be tougher than regular insects. I surmise their internal systems, being of the arachnid family, is built differently from six legged insects. Those six legged sprays and such do not seem to work well or rapidly on spiders.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Yep, the Missouri one heck of a river. I did some fishing in when I was at Great Falls (Malmstrom AFB). Caught a few, but didn't do as well as folks who get out in a boat and float the river. Ya know, I think of Montana often. In all my years on Active Duty, its the one place I cried when we left. I've been back east for almost thirty years now, but my heart is still out there in Montana somewhere. It has that kind of an effect on you. Ya just can't shake it.

Kinda like Texas.. It gets in your blood. I couldn't live anywhere but Texas but if forced, I could definately live in Montana or Wyoming. Texas will always be home though. It's in my heart!
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

Hey Beowulf.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    One day I want to take a raft the whole distance that would be an awesome trip.
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

As always Cammie Your an inspiration, the garden will be awesome as always.
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

Hey Beowulf.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Don't recommend killing spiders in the garden orangetom, they kill tons of bugs, but if you want to kill them in your house or other areas, Here are some tips from my natural pest control book.

cedar chips repel spiders, as does the herb pennyroyal sprinkled around.
    To kill them, mix 1 oz. table salt to a gallon of warm water and spray them, or 1 drop of citronella oil to a quart of water.

Yesterday I did carrots, raddish, lettuce, onion, orka, khorabi, tomatoes, hot and sweet peppers, cucumbers, strawberries, and watermelon. Need to to cantaloupe, peas, and string beans.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: