Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Got my garden up and running!

Thanks for that info bambam,

Don't recommend killing spiders in the garden orangetom, they kill tons of bugs, but if you want to kill them in your house or other areas, Here are some tips from my natural pest control book.

cedar chips repel spiders, as does the herb pennyroyal sprinkled around.
    To kill them, mix 1 oz. table salt to a gallon of warm water and spray them, or 1 drop of citronella oil to a quart of water.

This is the condition under which I asked that question.,,

We have a little place where we go from time to time but let the boss man know and our cell numbers. It is a little lean to...with heavy drapes to keep out the wind and even some of the cold.

But we have discovered we are sharing it with a black widow spider we have named Dorothy. She hangs out on the ground level behind a 55 gallon barrel which is cocked up slightly feeding on the passing crickets and other bugs. She often goes underneath this barrel. We know we are going to have to put down Dorothy or eventually she will have lots of little Dorothy's.
    The barrel is tucked in there closely to other equipment's so we need to be careful about moving it and not knowing wherein goes Dorothy in her escape.

I have purchased a type of spider spray and have not tried it to date. I'll let you know how it works out. Apparently spider spray is a different formulation from regular insect spray.

Understand about spiders in the garden ...same thing with snakes...they handle lots of other bugs and critters...birds eating lots of different insects too.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 03-15-2017 at 11:47 AM.

You can get mouse sticky strips. Spider are atracted to them too. Actually they atract everything. Spiders, scorpions, flies, beetles, moths, ants, crickets etc.. Oh, and mice for which they were intended. Place them where pets cant get to them or they will show up stuck to their face. Ask me how I know. I have a curious Schnauzer. Nuf said! lol
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

I personally do not like them for mice, I think it's cruel. Maybe in a SHTF situation where your life depends on it. Yes they catch anything that comes in contact and the more the struggle the more the stuck!

I ruint nearly 200 plants. I got them all started and sprouted great, but they grew too fast, they became "leggy" where they grew very tall very fast not building a good stem. Doing some research I determined the most likely culprit was insufficient light. I had them on a wire rack sitting in front of a South facing glass door there is a covered porch on the other side of the door so direct sunlight couldn't hit the plants (I thought that was a good thing for starting seeds indoors). We had some beautiful weather so I took the plants outside for a few hours, the next day the plants started dying, I nursed them best I knew how. I finally cut my loss and removed them all and started all of my seeds again. Any suggestions?
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    I personally do not like them for mice, I think it's cruel. Maybe in a SHTF situation where your life depends on it. Yes they catch anything that comes in contact and the more the struggle the more the stuck!

I ruint nearly 200 plants. I got them all started and sprouted great, but they grew too fast, they became "leggy" where they grew very tall very fast not building a good stem. Doing some research I determined the most likely culprit was insufficient light. I had them on a wire rack sitting in front of a South facing glass door there is a covered porch on the other side of the door so direct sunlight couldn't hit the plants (I thought that was a good thing for starting seeds indoors). We had some beautiful weather so I took the plants outside for a few hours, the next day the plants started dying, I nursed them best I knew how. I finally cut my loss and removed them all and started all of my seeds again. Any suggestions?
    Definitely sounds like not enough light flock. I keep lamps around my young plants and give them at least 12 hours of light a day. Also plenty of water, they can dry out fast.

I've done the same before Flock. Lots of light will fix that. I put chains on my lights and lower them to about 6" over the plants and raise a little as needed. I got a timer and would run them 12-14 on.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

I have a full spectrum aquarium light and fixture I don't use anymore because I upgraded to LED. I'll knock the salt off it and give it a try. Thanks y'all
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Yes! Definitely, MORE light. At least 8 hrs a day.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    You can get mouse sticky strips. Spider are atracted to them too. Actually they atract everything. Spiders, scorpions, flies, beetles, moths, ants, crickets etc.. Oh, and mice for which they were intended. Place them where pets cant get to them or they will show up stuck to their face. Ask me how I know. I have a curious Schnauzer. Nuf said! lol

LOL LOL LOL...Camouflaged...yes..a curious Schnauzer...

I put Dorothy down last night. She is a tough olde bird..even with that particular Spider spray she did not go down easily. I also sprayed in and around the barrel. As I was getting at...we were concerned that she would be delivering lots of little Dorothy's.

I did not even think of the sticky traps/strips. Thanks for reminding me. I also never considered that they attracted all kinds of critters.

Orangetom

Living in the country, those sticky strips are worth their weight. We even trapped a small copperhead with it. Somehow it got in the house. It got stuck to the strip trying to eat a mouse that was stuck. The snake tried to escape and the strip stuck to something else and it got trapped/wedged. Needles to say, it thrashed around trying to break loose and ended up getting stuck to the strip in several places. We picked it up with a a grabber along with the mouse and tossed it in the burn pile. We originally placed the around to control scorpions. We kill at least a dz of those bastards every Summer. I've been stung by those things more times than I care to admit. God almighty they hurt!

Yay! Everything is sprouting! I have a good feeling about this years crops!